Chapter 4: Keep my Stance Wide

Summary:

As the months go by, Connie finds a new purpose.

Notes:

Disclaimer: Don't own Steven Universe or any of its characters.

Wow! Holy cheese! You guys are fantastic! I never expected to get so much lovely feedback and fanart. Seriously. Check out my instagram tunafishprincess if you'd like to see some of the artworks. They're amazing.

Big thank you to hadithi, E350, and echofour for giving me encouragement and feedback for the chapter and story. You guys are amazing.

I hope you enjoy the chapter! It's a long one! Also first chapter of the new decade yey!

Keep my stance wide

Keep my body lowered

As I'm moving forward

Right foot; left foot

The first month went about as she expected.

Despondent. Terrified. Grieving. Take your pick, she'd cycled through every bad emotion she could think of.

She was far from the home and longed for and desperate to get back.

Minutes turned to hours turned to days turned to weeks and still, Connie barely understood the world around her. She lived day in and day out in the garden, exploring the different crooks and crannies, trying to figure out how to escape. Alas, the doors wouldn't open for her, no matter how many times she'd tried. She was trapped. A bird in a gilded cage.

The thought made Connie cradle her book. Tracing the lines across the cover, she thanked her lucky stars that they allowed her to keep it, or rather, allowed her Diamond to keep them. Everything she owned was technically his now.

Her lips soured. Connie might have shaken his hand but that didn't mean she trusted him. Pink (or rather, Steven, as he preferred to be called) was friendly, almost overly so. From day one he had been hanging out with her, stuck like glue really.

At the beginning she wanted to reject it. He was one of the invaders, albeit a reluctant one, but that didn't detract from his supposed role in her planet's current hysteria. In their current destruction.

He was a Diamond, half or not. She was a human.

And yet.

Her features softened.

She couldn't deny that she enjoyed the attention.

Which was why she didn't immediately brush him off as he peeked up from behind her book, eyes glittering with interest. His pink fringe swayed over his face as he scouted closer.