Part 2- Chapter 23

The Faithful Ones were greeted by one of the blacksmiths who'd been working on the weapons.
"The King sent me, he said you should be back today. The weapons and armour are ready."
"Thank you," smiled Mel, but Raine saw it was hiding her fear, she saw in Mel's eyes that she was terrified by the reality of it all now. They went to Gatûkai-Zhëtzen's throne room and were allowed in almost as soon as the guard realised who they were.
"So you have returned, only to leave as soon as we've finished our preparations," he said with a chuckle.
"Yes, that's how it goes with endless travelling," replied Raine.

After the freedom of the forest and travelling without fear of what would come, Raine found the caves strangely pressing down on her and trapping her. Now, whatever she did, she couldn't stop thinking about the battle to come. Her mind imagined the battlefield during and after the battle, it imagined death, it imagined the Raging Wolf in his castle. Where could she hide when the things she fled were in her own mind? She tried to sleep, but as she drifted off she kept beginning to dream of the horrors her mind had imagined. She got up and tip-toed into the stone-roofed courtyard and saw Mel curled up in the corner. Mel started then realised it was just Raine.
"Are you thinking about the battle?"
"Yeah," Mel sighed, "but also other battles Jes fights." Raine sank to the floor beside her friend and they talked about battles until they fell silent and simply sat there lost in quieter thoughts. Eventually sleeping and dreaming mixed with thinking, and wakefulness disappeared like an owl on a moonless night into darkness past the hushed midnight bell which had tolled quite a while ago. The deep silence of latest night hushed their dreams, too, giving them peace from nightmares and providing rest.

it was nearly time for midmeal when Raine woke and saw Mel was still half asleep.
"Morning," she mumbled, stretching as she yawned. "The floor is more comfortable than it looks." Raine agreed, standing and stretching as she went to get dressed before stumbling out to find food.

The day was spent in preparation for travelling to Northesa. There were many dwarves who'd chosen to go with their king, and most wondered about the new part of the song the Forgen sang. Raine smiled when she heard its echo, remembering how Nimue had spoken to whatever spirit lived inside the Forgen. Mel took them to choose their weapons, to the dismay of all. Raine chose a long dagger, Rose, Sunny, Freya, Blaze, and Amedël chose swords, Salma, Matthew, and Bouniek chose shields, Mel chose a long bow, and Taigat-Zhëtzen and Zadut chose pole-arms. Afterwards, they returned to their quarters to pack their belongings.
"Should we name our weapons?" asked Rose.
"I think it would be cool, but you don't have to," replied Mel.
"I name my sword 'Radiance'."
"I think I'll name my dagger 'Endurance', because I will endure this battle to fight for freedom and for the Creator."
"My bow will be called 'Emrísorn' which means 'morning' in Elven," said Mel. It was the first Elven word she'd said to them, and it sounded strange and pretty. The others didn't name their weapons, but everyone was hoping they'd be able to protect themselves and others with them. Raine put her dagger in her pack, and stayed in the room until nightmeal. Outside the room, in the courtyard, Mel, Sunny, Matthew, Blaze, and Amedël were talking quietly. Rose had gone to read in the Buchod Room Amedël took care of, Salma and Freya had gone to the Ice clan, Taigat-Zhëtzen was working with his fellow fire-keepers, and Zadut and Bouniek were talking to the sages. When the bell called 'dinner time!' Raine only traced her Glitter and stared blankly at the door before shaking her head and heading off to eat.

Raine slept fitfully, and was glad when morning came despite the fact that today was the day they'd leave for Northesa. Before noon everyone who was coming was ready and amassed around the Caverns' three main entrances. By afternoon they were on their way. There was roughly four hundred dwarves coming to help free the Northesians, all of them following the Faithful Ones who'd come this way before. They distributed themselves throughout the large company, which was the beginning of an army, telling stories and teaching songs and generally sharing life together. How wonderful it was, when most of the dwarves were singing the same song with the Faithful Ones and it echoed through the mountains. They often sang the song that guided their journey, and when the thoughts of battle were too much Raine remembered the line 'we know the outcome is secure' and remembered that victory was certain. But that didn't stop her mind form imagining nightmares.

~~~

The dwarves camped outside Tania's town while the Faithful Ones visited their friend.
"Four hundred dwarves have come with us to help fight for your freedom, including their king, Gatûkai-Zhëtzen," said Mel.
"Thank you. I sent word to everyone I know, to tell everyone they know and so on. Those who have joined this rebel army are gathered in the region surrounding Belfaiten where the Raging Wolf's castle is. There are about twelve hundred I think, and more who won't fight but help us in other ways. Oh, I'm glad you're back. He knows we're planning rebellion, and his soldiers have been patrolling the streets of every town and village in case we dare to do anything, but they nit-pick every wrong look and almost took someone to gaol the other week."
"Everyone is relatively safe though?" Rose moved her hair aside. Tania nodded.
"Are you coming to fight as well?" asked Raine.
"I'm worried about Lily. What if something happens to her during the battle? What is something happens to me?" The same fear that dwelt in Raine's nightmares was evident in Tania's face, a fear for oneself and one's beloved ones.
"Maybe we can find someone who'd be able to look after people's children during the battle, so they'd be safe and out of the way," suggested Matthew. Tania thought about it for a moment then agreed.

The dwarves and Faithful Ones stayed near the town that night, and Tania and Lily joined them the next day when they moved on. Soon her pretty voice was added to the deeper chorus of the dwarves. Other voices, timid voices, joined as they passed towns and villages and gathered those who had been too scared to fight but now knew they had safety in numbers. Raine still feared what her mind had imagined, but she reminded herself every day that they'd be safe.

The walls of Belfaiten rose over the land, and the castle turrets rose higher beyond like mountain peaks. Then a horn sounded in the distance and Raine saw a relieved person running towards them.
"You're here! The fabled Faithful Ones are here, and with support from the dwarves under the mountains!" they exclaimed. Raine smiled and nodded.
"Soon we will be free from the Raging Wolf's tyranny," replied Tania. The dwarves set up their tents beside the Northesians'. Raine sat outside, near her tent, going over the dagger tricks she'd learnt over the trip from a hunter. Gatûkai-Zhëtzen came and sat near her, having also finished setting up.
"Who's looking after your kingdom while you're away?"
"My nephew Zëbûnr-Vazhtien, named for his bright curiousness and wonder. He tends to stay with the sages rather than in the Royal Quarters, and he is wise. He'll be a good king when he is old enough."
"He didn't hear the Forgen's song then?"
"I wished and wished he would, but for all the wondrous voices of the earth and sky he hears he cannot hear the spirit in the Forgen," the dwarf shook his head.
"At least you know there is someone trustworthy guarding your throne." Gatûkai-Zhëtzen agreed.

The sun was two hand spans from the horizon. Mel gathered the Faithful Ones and they went foraging and hunting with some Northesians and dwarves in search of provisions for everyone. It was hard work but by nightfall there were pots of stew being prepared across the whole rebel army camp. Raine slept fitfully again, waking from a nightmare and slipping into another as the light of silver stars travelled from east to west.