Part 3- Chapter 35

"So how does this whole Jes thing work?" Saul asked.
"Jes and I are the same person, mostly. I suppose part of me is the version of Jes she tries to be; brave, wild, adventurous, more kind, more forgiving. Sometimes there is no barrier. Hopefully one day we'll be the same -- I am built from the wild joy. The wildness is courage, confidence, a readiness to stand up for what is right and never back down, an energy. Jes wants her life to be built from that, so she can fight for her Creator in a world of those who don't believe in Him, stand amongst the broken and help them look towards a Healer. But that starts with little things, like this story, like the songs we sing, like caring for others," Mel shook her head, laughing, "But I'm getting distracted. Jes is a writer. Honestly, right now, that means practice means progress and by the time she's out of school maybe she'll be good enough to be at least half-way to publishing properly. No matter how many drafts this story takes, she'll get there, and build other worlds along the way too. Writing is the way Jes hopes to reach people who need the Creator. Yeah."
"That's pretty cool. But doesn't that mean we're made up?" asked Alicia, and everyone looked expectantly at Mel, each pair of eyes containing a mixture of emotions. She sighed and thought for a moment.
"Rule one of stories: it's real. It's real somewhere, even if that's only in someone's imagination. Jes created you, yes, but aside from guiding what must happen she just follows our adventures with a pen in hand. But please don't think about it, it's way too confusing and no-one likes to be reminded about their supposed non-existence. There's people with theories in Jes' world that everything is just a simulation, but she thinks that's silly," Mel smiled. Raine nodded.
"Alright, now no more paragraph-long explanations!" Everyone laughed, and after another moment they began singing.

Raine dreamt half-remembered moments of flying, of being given her glitter, of Mel chasing her in the forest before Raine knew her name. She dreamt a half-remembered terror-daydream of Saul killing all her friends, and a memory of the moment she was set free. So long ago, so far away were those adventures. Her heart was restless and she wanted to fly away from all she'd known to find a land where they could make their place, where they could sing all day. She was still unsure of Saul, but Mel had a point that he should be given a new chance. It was his choice to be made.

Mel ran ahead of the group in leopardess form. Saul was talking to the dwarves. Matthew asked how Raine was, and they started talking about dreams. She explained her tumultuous dreams to her friend, and he explained his. He was wary too, but they both trusted Mel and knew it was Saul's choice not theirs. Matthew told her about the moment his chains fell away, something he hadn't told her about before.
"It was pretty soon after we left the forest, a few days after Mel sang while we imagined. It was so strange, I imagined how the world might have been made; nothing then light, sea and land, creatures and people. She blinked the way cats do, and there was something in her eyes that said she had always kept us safe. I decided that if she really had done and if she really could, well, I might as well trust her to be able to set me free. And then I was," he said.
"Did you see the world shift, like it had been grey but now it's full of colour?"
"Yes, and a song began in my heart." Matthew didn't need to ask if she'd heard it too. Raine grinned.
"So many years we've all been travelling together, we know each other so well."
"Even before we left the village, we seven were good friends for two years. We've been travelling for four."
"That makes six, and we'll travel forevermore!" Raine rhymed, laughing.

"Hi Karen, hi Tania. We're back," Mel called.
"Hello. You won't guess who's here," said Karen.
"Who?"
"Serígumilá and Sivláylé!"
"What, really?!" exclaimed Raine. Karen pointed to the two elves sitting by the fire, cooking something.
"How are you two here? How Queen Twíletsalí let you come, you're her wisest advisor," Raine spluttered.
"We came here on a ship, like you," smiled Sivláylé.
"She knew I wanted to come, but I didn't ask because I thought the same as you. But she told me I'm getting older and she can find a new advisor," Serígumilá shrugged. "Also the ship's captain said that the Merfolk's Voyage should arrive in about a week from when we arrived. We got here two days ago."
"Let's!" Raine turned to Mel, barely containing her excitement. Mel beamed and agreed, and the message was sent to everyone in the army.

By early the next day they were ready to travel to the coast, leaving behind a hundred or so Northesians who'd decided to make their homes in Icendell. Saul declared that there was nothing to lose and a lot to gain and that he would come with the Faithful Ones. He was nervous around everyone but those twelve, but he handled his secret well, and the Faithful Ones had gotten used to the idea of having him in their midsts by then too. They were just thrilled and eager to be on the move again, heading to a place they'd make their own.

"Hello again! Off to find a new land?" said Carlos.
"Yes!, and we can't wait to run again," replied Sunny. Once the army was aboard the ship, pushing the limits on what it could bear, Carlos cast off. Raine and Mel stood facing Icendell as it slowly shrank away.
"Let anyone who has heard of us find the land we find if they sail across the seas after us. Let any reader join our story of joy and wildness, and let our story and its meaning be passed on so that others join us. Let all who know our story know the Creator, know His love and kindness and even His mercy, and one day stand dressed in white in His army," Mel murmured, breathing magic into her words. They stood there a while longer in companionship, before turning and running across the deck to the others.
"For love and light, we stand together, forever strong!" everyone cried as they left behind the world they knew and sailed on.

~~~