truly yours

3.4k words

"Another owl from Malfoy?" Hermione said as she entered the room, seeing me in the corner of our dormitory, rereading Draco's words over and over.

"Don't say his name so loud!" I nearly jumped when I heard her voice, quickly looking around to make sure nobody was in the room as well. She rolled her eyes and shut the door behind her, walking over and sitting by me on my bed. I folded the note before she could read any of it. "We're meeting up again. Tomorrow night after curfew, astronomy tower."

"Wow, breaking rules," She said sarcastically. "So dreamy."

It was my turn to roll my eyes. I ignored her and unfolded the paper so I could scan the letter one last time before sliding it back into it's envelope. I turned to her and she gave me a suspicious glance.

"Explain to me again why you can't hang out during the day time?" She asked.

"Mr. Malfoy is terrifying," I said simply, shrugging. "If he saw us- Draco, his own son, dating a halfblood? He'd kill the both of us!"

"I never understand this reasoning, like, why can't you just tell him you're just friends?" She asked me. I looked at her for a moment, bewildered.

"I think he'd still at least torture us a little, don't you?" I asked her, only half-jokingly. "He taught Draco that it was okay to say... Mudblood. He obviously isn't very empathetic."

"And neither is Draco yet you still like him," She argued. Whenever we talked about Draco she was always on edge. She hated that boy, always swearing there was something wrong with us being together. She used to suggest he was using me or was embarrassed of me. I always shut down when she said these things, which lead her to apologizing over and over again.

"He's just... paranoid. I would be too, if I was him," I shrugged. I quickly gave her the benefit of the doubt. Truthfully, if he was so evil, he could very well be using me for validation. I quickly found myself under a weight of thought. Often I considered this- the idea that he's using me. But I never liked to confront it head on. She shook her head and sighed.

"I don't like him," She stated firmly, pressing her lips together and crossing her arms. I thought for a moment, wondering if I should voice my thoughts.

"I know, you tell me all the time," I dismissed her comment. I didn't want to think about Draco anymore, it was too worrying. "Um, you want to study, or something?"

"We do have that charms quiz tomorrow," She stood up and dusted herself off. She walked over to her bed and began to shift through a stack of textbooks from her bedside table. As she did so, I leaned over to my desk and unfolded the note. I reread his words, feeling a bit anxious now. I felt my eyes scan his signature over and over again.

Truly yours,
Draco Malfoy

I sighed, reminding myself that everything was alright. I was stressing over nothing. I quickly folded it back up, threw it on my desk and turned back to Hermione without her ever noticing a thing.

///

One charms quiz and an argument with Hermione later, I felt myself carefully walking down the corridors of Hogwarts past curfew. The few other people who knew about Draco and I's relationship all insisted I didn't go. They gave me plenty of reasons ("If you get caught you could get expelled!" from Hermione, "We could have a chess tournament tonight!" from Ron, and "You're hanging out with Malfoy and expecting he's not up to something cruel?" from Harry) but I couldn't help but shrug off each one.

But I would be lying if I said that there weren't a million thoughts running through my mind as I walked up the steps of the astronomy tower. Of course, I was always nervous before seeing Draco. But the creeping consideration of me being a toy to him made me more anxious than ever. Sure, I always had that afterthought, but now it was all I could think about. I guess it just occurred to me how easy it would be for him to fake. Love can be blinding.