memory extraction

3.2k words

How did we get here, Draco?

A wand against my temple, a clear vial in my left hand and your crying eyes on my shoulder. I see a white stream following the tip of your wand.  I want to touch it, but I know I shouldn't.  My cheeks are wet with tear streaks, but I don't remember crying.

Why are you so sad, Draco?

You leave my shoulder and silently cry as you put the stream into my vial.  I hold it out for you, helping you store the white flow of your wand.  You look at me with tired eyes.

"We're almost done, love," You tried to smile.

I looked around the room and found we were in the dorms at the top of the Gryffindor Tower.  Both of us were by the window, only lit by the moonlight.  I smiled at you.

"You aren't allowed up here," I grinned at you.  You kissed your teeth and slowly nodded at me, looking like you'd cry again.  "Draco... are you alright?"

You blinked and turned so I couldn't see your face anymore.  Your hand covered your left forearm and I tried to think about what you were hinting at, but I felt like I couldn't even think straight.  You stifled out a cry, a tear sliding off your cheek and onto the ground beneath us.  My mouth fell agape and I held out my hand to reach yours.  Suddenly, the sky outside caught both of our attentions.

We turned to face the window, watching Hogwarts students and professors rase their wands at the sky, slowly building a dome around the school.  I pressed my hands against the window anxiously.  How could the war have slipped my mind?

"Draco, we need to go fight!" I urged you, grabbing your hand and squeezing it.  I gave you an encouraging smile, which you didn't return.  Tears continued to slide down your cheeks and I didn't know what to say.

"I'm going to miss you, darling," You smiled and held your wand to my temple again.  I looked at you nervously, then to the wand.

I watched the tip of his wand pull a white stream from the side of my head.  Suddenly I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling a sharp pain from deep inside my brain. I heard muffled cries, but drained them out.  I felt your hand hold mine for a moment, Draco, but soon enough I opened my eyes and you were gone.

/

I blinked again.  What was I doing here?  I looked around and found myself in the Gryffindor dormitory.  There I was, sitting by the window, only accompanied by a small vial filled of a glowing white substance.  I grabbed it and it was warm, as if someone was just holding it.

I looked outside and was mesmerized by a magical orange barrier being built around the school.  I saw hundreds of students with their wands raised to the sky.  The war is starting!  How could I have let that slip my mind?

I got to my feet and shoved the vial in my pocket for safe keeping.  I wasn't positive what it was (a potion, maybe?) but I knew it had to be important.  Running down the staircase I could have sworn I had forgotten something, but I kept running down the steps anyway.

And there I had arrived at the doors of Hogwarts, preparing to face one of the most intense wizard wars there ever will be.  I stared outside and through the now clear barrier, seeing hundreds of Deatheaters.  I grimaced.  The idea of devoting your entire life to pleasing Lord Voldemort made me feel hollow inside.

I looked around, seeing students from all houses around me and ready to fight.  But I didn't see any students from Slytherin.  I quickly remembered Draco.  Where was Draco?

I looked around frantically and turned around from the courtyard.  I ran inside, looking left and right and trying to remember the last time I saw him.  How could I have been so stupid to forget where he was?  Was he in trouble?