erised

1.8k words

I stuck out my hand to the mirror, feeling it's smooth, cold surface.  For some reason, I was always convinced I could sink my hand right through and onto Draco's shoulder.  He smiled at me sadly, glancing to my reaching hand.  I closed my eyes for a moment, sighing, before opening them again and making sure he hadn't gone away.

I knew these trips to the empty classroom were unhealthy for me.  Every night was the same, sneaking off down the long corridors to watch myself in this mirror for hours before falling asleep.  And every morning was the same, waking up before everyone else had to and prying myself away from my reflection to go back to the dormitories.  It was a tiresome routine, sure, but it was the one I followed.

I looked to my left, where Draco's reflection was sitting patiently by me, and was met with an empty space.  I was used to this by now, but always somewhat disappointed.  I turned back and stared at him sharing my look of sadness.

Eventually I felt my eyelids grow heavy and I leaned against the wall beside me.  My eyes were forced shut because I couldn't help but find myself disappointed no matter how hard I looked.  Draco now had his arms around me, his eyes closed.

Eventually I fell asleep, waking up just hours later to sunlight pouring through the classroom's windows.  I slowly got up and nodded Draco good morning.  I dusted myself off, looked around to disappoint myself again, and slowly trudged back to the Slytherin common room.

I muttered the password and climbed through the portrait, sulking up a flight of stairs to get to my dormitory.  I crawled into bed, finally feeling physically comfortable after another night leaning against a rock wall.

But, always sooner than I expected, alarms rung and we all had to get up to get ready for the day.

"Come on," Lily violently shook my shoulder as the rest of the Slytherins in our dormitory left. I groaned as she pried my duvet from my hands, revealing my face. She gasped. "Uh, did you...?"

"What?" I asked, suddenly growing in worry. I rubbed my eyes to clear my blurred vision.

"Did you sleep? At all?" She asked bluntly. I sat up in my bed and squeezed my eyes shut. "You've been so... weird lately! You know, we could probably get Snape to make you some sort of sleeping potion."

I got to my feet as she continued going on about potions, pulling open my bedside table's drawer to find a hand-held mirror. I put it up to my face and gasped as well. She was right. All of my sleepless nights have been wearing on me.  My eyes were puffy and unusually dry. I put my fingers to my cheek and pressed against it, seeing the blood rush to my ghostly pale face. I turned to face Lily.

"It's not too bad is it? Will a shower make me look better?" I asked her desperately.

"Um," She thought, "maybe a little."

I cursed myself for spending so much time in front of that addicting mirror the night prior while anxiously waiting for the day to tick by so I could go back. The image it displayed to me was intoxicating.

It was of the upmost importance for me to wipe the tired off my face during my shower, but the weight of exhaustion hung on me so heavily I knew it would never go away. I dried off and changed into my robes, peering into the mirror at every crevice of my face in disgust. You would think that after all of my hours looking into a mirror I would know what my appearance looked like.

"Morning," Draco's voice scared me as I walked down the stairs. I flinched, darting my eyes to the ground.

"Good morning," I said hesitantly, avoiding his eyes.