Chapter 9: That itty bitty detail

VICTOR

Ted cleared his throat. "Sss-so sir, magpapabili parin po ba kayo ng ---" Ted is still trying to cover what they heard before we stopped.

Avie smiled at Ted and did a thumbs up at him. "It's cool, you're good" signaling Ted na tama na. She patted his shoulder as she walked past him. Avie moves like she owns the place, well she technically does. But there's a certain finesse to her movements like when she pulled a side pocket-like drawer from a night stand beside me.

She pulled out a clipboard from there and lifted a page to compare to the one in front. "Come on in guys, don't just stand there" Avie said as she kept reading.

The little girl came in first and put the pillow at my side. I smiled at her while the young man lifted his arm to pull up the comforter set he had been carrying. He placed it at the end of my bed and stood behind Avie.

"Jay akin na yung fruits para maibigay na natin sa--" Darylle took the plastic from the young man's hand. Mabilis naman si Ted na nagintervene sa kamay ni Darylle.

"I got it" Ted took the basket and the bag of fruits from Darylle's hand and placed them at the table near the couch. He offered them to sit on the couch after niyang alisin yung mga nakakalat na gamit namin.

Darylle accepted the offer, at kumalong si Deedee sa kanya.

Avie pulled out my xray from a large envelope and raised it up. "Mukhang ok ka naman, your bones are fine. The doctor at the hospital in Quezon did a good job putting it back after being dislocated. Naka-inom ka na ba ng ibuprofen?" She lifted another page. "Hmmmm..." She hummed while still reading. "The meds we got from Quezon must've... No, that's not it." Her eyes met mine. "Nagpalit ka ba ng anti-pain meds when the ones we bought were finished?"

"No" I lied. Hindi na ako uminom when I got to Manila. I had every intention of staying in pain so I could come at the hospital with a slight discomfort and Avie would take pity at palusutin ako sa biglaang pag alis ko.

"Ooooohhhkey..." Avie, still puzzled, ran her finger on my shoulder on top of my hospital gown. "What I don't understand is how it got so swollen this afternoon" inangat ni Avie yung side ng hospital gown ko to expose my shoulder and arm. "Ok ka naman kasi when we---" Avie paused "--were together in Quezon" she continued.

I looked at Ted. Now kay Avie na nanggaling na together kami sa noong nasa white mansion ako.

Binalik ni Avie yung files sa side pocket. "Aside from junk food, ano pang kinain mo lately? Baka kasi namaga ka from an allergic reaction" Avie's eyes turned to the pile of junk food Ted bought habang nagbabantay sakin.

"I didn't eat anything different from my usual, today legit na kinain ko yung ginisang ampalaya na may itlog from the hospital lunch." I proudly stated.

I couldn't help but smile, nakakataba ng puso yung concern niya. "Avie this is Ted nga pala, siya yung may-ari ng junk food, Ted this is Avie" Ted awkwardly waved at her, pero nakahalata siyang gusto kong tumayo siya at magpakilala ng maayos so he shook her hand.

"You've met Darylle and Deedee"Avie looked at them on the couch. The two were busy with Darylle showing something to Deedee on her phone. "And this is Jayjay" Jayjay walked toward me and shook my good hand. Very formal ang tanggap sakin ni Jayjay. Hindi ko tuloy matantiya kung ok ako sa kanya o hindi.

"Woooow! The Samaniego siblings are here?" The doctor who told Avie that she will be my attending physician walked through the hallway.

"Tita!" Deedee raised her arms to hug the woman. Jayjay and Darylle also did the same thing to greet her.