Chapter 5

"No."

"Dawn, you have no choice," Maple says evenly.

"I never have any choice," I mumble under my breath, "I'm not going with her."

Maple sighs, "Not my first choice either, but Sterling's extensive knowledge of the humans will come in handy. I've already warned her not to make trouble."

"No!" I glare at Maple intensely.

It's always strange, two Alpha females battling, it almost hurts, but also has an primal, deep quality. I've always known that I was an Alpha, always known that I was born to rule and be dominant. It's an inherent sense in Wolfborns.

Maple's eyes flare gold as I stare at her. We battle invisibly, inside our minds. But Maple's stronger and older.

"Fine," I look away, annoyed.

"Oh my goddess, this is so funny!" Willow laughs.

I gasp at her, "How dare you think that this is funny."
She leans back against me, lounging on the branch that we sit on, "So funny."

Willow yawns, and I absentmindedly play with her hair, long and ashy brown, and tangled all over my lap and the branch. I breath in Willow's herby, earthy scent.

Out of everyone in the pack, Maple picked Sterling. The most annoying, rude, and reckless she-wolf in the entire pack. Since we were pups, she's always been sneaking out, running off, and disappearing. And her entire nature. She's eternally sarcastic and aggravating, always saying the things that get on my nerves the most. And somehow, she manages to skirt out of trouble every time. And she's teased me endlessly. Carroty, and ginger were her favorite terms to use to describe my hair. I haven't talked to her much since she became a Gamma last year, but every time we interact, it's a thorough disaster.

"So, when are you going to pack?" Willow asks sleepily.

"What do you even pack to go to the humans?"

Willow stifles a laugh, "Ask Sterling!"

"Goddess, no!" I bop Willow in the nose, and stand, "Now, I've got to go pack, and leave Cloud a lovely parting gift. Do you happen to know where the best thistles grow?"

Willow rolls her eyes, and lounges back on the branch. I leap down and bound away through the trees.