Five: Buttercup apologies

"Forgiveness is the best form of love. It takes a strong person to say sorry and an even stronger person to forgive."

I immediately look around for anyone who might be witnessing the tall white man against a colored women's car, in a very strict segregated area of the city.

"What are you doing here Ashton?" I hiss, I'm upset with him, hurt, but I won't let that show. Also, someone could be around witnessing this. I honestly don't need my classmates gossiping about the fact I'm friends with a white man.

Ashton pushes himself off of the car and reaches his hand out. Ranunculus, also known as buttercups in his hands, a dozen of them. "I got these for you, I know you like buttercups." He says softly. My heart flutters but I don't put down my walls, flowers aren't going to win me over.

He made me feel horrible, I cried so hard, my eyes are still sore. He caused emotions I don't need, especially now with everything going on in my life. I have been stressed enough with school. I don't need anything more to drain me, I don't even think I have much left to drain.

"Nice, thanks." I say flatly, I push past him and unlock my car door, my back to Ashton. "Sage, don't be like that. I'm sorry." He says. I fumble with my keys, ignoring my heart racing in my chest.

"It's fine, I had better things to do anyway." I lie. That was a little rude, I immediately feel bad, I bite my lip to stop myself from blurting out an apology. He deserved it though, I tell myself.

"Sage, I got caught up with some things and time slipped my mind, I'm sorry." He says. I open the car door; I turn and look up at Ashton who has a frown on his handsome features.

Things that were more important than the date with me. The date he suggested in the first place. he can't even give me an explanation.

"It's fine Ashton." I sigh, it's not fine, I'm hurt but I don't want to acknowledge that. 

"It's not, your upset with me, what can I do to make it up to you?"

Something about his words ticks me off, I glare at him. "I'm not upset, I don't care, it was just some stupid date." I snap. I get even more upset with myself for what I said. "It wasn't even a date!" I remind both of us of, as I try to climb into my car, but Ashton shuts the car door, grabs my hand and spins me around to face him.

Sparks erupt on my skin the second his hands touch mine. "I'm sorry. I am. I didn't mean to stand you up like that, Sage." His voice is so soft and smooth, it makes me nearly melt.

"Can you please give me another chance? Let me make it up to you?"

I huff, I lower my head and look away from Ashton as I remove my hands from his. "I don't know." I admit, I really don't want to be stood up again. It hurt.

"One more chance, that's all I need."

This one more chance could hurt me again, make me regret giving it to him. I glance at him, wondering if it's worth it.

Is it worth the risk? Am I willing to take it, if so?

He smiles.

That darn smile makes a crack in my walls that I built up, causing them to collapse.

"Fine, but one chance." I raise one finger and make it clear. "One chance Ashton." I say sternly. I hope I won't regret this.

Ashton smiles brightly, he leans in, kissing my cheek. "That's all I need baby." I stiffen.

My heart beats wildly in my chest. Baby? heat crawls up my neck and to my cheeks. Ashton pulls away, a smirk on his lips as he looks down at me. He reaches behind me, hovering over my smaller frame, his face inches from mine, he opens  my car door. "I'll see you tomorrow night then, eight?" He asks.