Eleven: Danville

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

I sit on the couch, the cool breeze blowing through the screen of the opened windows as I lay in the living room. I watch the small box television, flipping through the channels.

I stop flipping through the channels when the news comes on, showing pictures and videos of many African Americans peacefully protesting outside of many large businesses and political buildings.

"Here in our city, Danville Virginia, many of Danville's African American civil rights leaders have organized demonstrations against the segregation we face in America today..."

The news anchors voice fades away as I stare at the television in amazement, looking at the many people who look just like me, bravely fighting for justice and equality.

"Sage." Ashton calls my name, I tear my eyes from the television, looking toward the kitchen.

"Yes?" I say, standing from the couch, he stands in the doorway, his arms crossed over his chest. "What are you watching?" He asks curiously, I glance at the television.

"People have been protesting, it's been on the news for weeks now." I say.

"Peaceful or violent?" He ask, walking toward me.

"Peaceful." I say, taking a seat on the couch. He joins me, draping his arm over my shoulders as he pulls me closer to him. Ashton stares at the television with a look that makes me wonder what he's thinking.

And then a thought comes into my head...

"Maybe we could go to one?" I suggest, glancing up at him, he tears his eyes from the television, smiling down at me. "That's not a bad idea." He comments. His eyes hold courage and excitement which makes me feel euphoric.

"The protest aren't just for Equality but also a lot of Mixed couples have been protesting against the miscegenation law too." I chirp, turning my body to face him.

"Well, we could go together, protest." He smiles. Together. The word causes my heart to flutter.

I smile, leaning in and pecking his lips. "Maybe we could convince Opal to come." I laugh, knowing she probably already has signs created and chants to shout.

"Sheriff Rick could lay down his badge for a day, join us." Ashton says seriously, I grin, latching my arms around him, embracing him in a hug.

Are we really considering this? So much could go wrong...

"we're really going to do this?" I ask, hopeful. He Leans down, connecting his lips to mine. He kisses me softly, before pulling away enough that only our lips brush against each other. "If we can do something to change the world, why not?" He says.

I grin, looking up into his green-blue eyes. "I'll try to find out when the next demonstration will be, I'm not sure how though." I say.

He shrugs. "I'm sure we can find out somehow." He says nonchalantly.

About two weeks later, the beginning of June, there's a march to protest over equality in Danville. Today also marks five months since Ashton and I's very first date in January.

It makes me beyond happy that I have him still and even happier we're doing something that could affect the rest of lives in a positive way. A way that could create an opportunity for us to really be together, without fear or worry.

I slide on my flats, patting out my baby blue dress. Opal appears in the living room, she grabs the signs off of the couch.

"I swear if someone steps on my shoes, I'm hitting them with it." She sasses as she walks toward me. I shake my head at her with a soft smile.

"Ready?" She ask, I nod my head, opening the apartment door.

I'm nervous. Anxious. I've never been to a protest and I'm not sure how it will go. I'm afraid of people's reactions, I'm afraid that it might not be as peaceful as I hope but only time will tell.

Opal and I walk down the hallway, down the flights of stairs and out of the apartment building.

Ashton is sitting in his truck, patiently waiting for us, Officer Rick sits in the truck as well, a smile on his lips.

"How do you think this will go?" I ask, looking toward Opal as we approach the truck.

"Not sure, are you ready for what could happen?" She asks, glancing toward me. I take a deep breath, honestly, I'm not sure.

"Yea." I sigh, trying to keep my nerves at bay.

Ashton and Sheriff Rick climb out of the truck, Sheriff Rick greets Opal as they climb into the cargo bed. Ashton helps me into the truck, before getting in himself. He puts the truck in drive and we begin our journey to downtown Danville.

I bounce my leg in anticipation and nervousness, I jump when Ashton places his hand over mine.

"Baby, we don't have to go if you don't want to." He says, I shake my head immediately. "No, no, it was my idea in the first place to do this, I won't back out now." I say, trying to sound determined behind my shaky voice. I just can't shake the feeling of something going wrong. 

He gives me a reassuring smile, lacing our fingers together as he holds my hand in his, I lean my head on his shoulder, sighing lowly.

We shouldn't even have to do this, but sadly, we do.

The second we get onto the main streets, the traffic is terrible, cars honking at each other, chaos fills the city. I glance toward Ashton confused. He shrugs. "Maybe the protest is blocking some of the main roads?" He suggest.

We decide to park the car on the sidewalk a block or two away from where the march is supposed to begin.

We climb out of the car, looking past the buildings to a mass amount of people, signs in the air, shouting and demanding Equality. Ashton grabs my hand, pulling me closer into his side.

"Don't leave my side, Sage." He leans down, whispering against my ear. I nod my head, tightening my hold on his hand. That idea never crossed my mind, I definitely don't want to be alone in a massive crowd like this one.

Many people of every shade of melanin, walk with pride and demand with their voices. I spot a few Caucasian people in the crowd as well, walking beside others with the same stride In their step.

"Let's go join the crowd" Opal says, gesturing toward the people marching. We all agree, sheriff Rick and Opal walk in front of us, holding their signs high.

With my free hand, I raise my sign in the air. Ashton does the same, glancing down at me with a small smile.

Someone in the middle of the crowd has a megaphone, shouting chants and saying things others would be afraid to.

"We have been oppressed and we are still oppressed, the chains on our feet have been unlocked but the chains on our hands still hold us hostage." I hear a man say.

"It is time we rise, we fight back with force, we make them uncomfortable so they will finally move."