Prologue

"Cheers!" My friends and I chanted for probably the hundredth time tonight before we all took a shot. In our circle, we believe that the whole world spinning after drinks is the ideal way to end a night. I mean, if your world ain't spinning after a night a of fun, did you even party at all?

It's Thursday, and I'm out and about with my girls. Don't get me wrong, party days are usually Friday nights and Saturdays. But today's a special night for our cousin Maddie, who's celebrating her 24th. She's my cousin and bff in one, so what kind of person would I be if I didn't take the time of day, slash that, night for the person who always stood by me?

"Hey, Megan! That guy has been hitting on you since we got here. If I were you, I'd strut myself down to their table and have a loooot more fun than we're having." Maddie told me when she noticed how the guy in black from across the room never let his eyes off me.

If it were any other day, I would have gone to their table and have free drinks and kisses. "Pass. Today is your day, not mine. So ignore the guy who's eyeing me, and let's get you a guy on the dance floor. C'mon!" I said as I took her hand and my sisters to lead then towards the middle of the bar. "Woohoo! New York City, you're the best!" Maddie screamed at the top of her lungs, obviously as high as I am.

Drinking and dancing, it's what we always do to have fun. It's our way of relaxing after a week of work. It has always been this way: Weekdays we work and weekends we twerk. Not that I'm good at it, but hey, it's all about the looks anyway.

"Hey ladies." Well, it looks like the guy in black had some balls after all. "Girl, he's got great moves. I want him." Maddie whispered then continued to dance as if she was 18- twisting and gyrating to the rhythm, sometimes grinding on a random guy who went near her. As expected from a former cheerdance captain. She could have him for all I care, she should be happy tonight.

My sister, Taegan, elbowed me and pushed me towards the guy, but I resisted and gave her a stern look.

"Don't be a bitch, Taegan, I don't want any boys tonight. It's a girls night, hoes over boys." I said.

"Can I have fun with him then?" Maddie instantly said. All I did was nod and told her "Have fun!"

That was the last thing I remembered when I woke up the next morning. It's past seven, I sighed and stood up. Realizing that I was in my parent's house, I wondered how we got home after all the drinks that we had. I'm still a bit dizzy and nauseous but this is way better than the way I felt last night. I start my day by brushing my teeth and washing my face, right before I go to my sanctuary- the kitchen.

Insouciant is what I always am when I'm in the kitchen. Perhaps it's the scent of whatever it is that has been cooking on the stove that makes you wanna grab the nearest chair and stop for a while to eat, or maybe it's just the fond memories of hustle made in the kitchen from when you only had one tooth and up until the most recent Christmas. During mornings, I usually confine myself in the comfort of our kitchen, making breakfast before the day starts. In a shirt that goes all the way to my knees, a messy bun, and fuzzy bedroom slippers, I wished I could just stay in bed all day, or at least spend a longer time at home.

"Shit" I said as I remembered to flip over the pancake that has been bubbling for the last three minutes. Well, there's that for being insouciant. At least I have already made enough before this one.

"I've always wondered what happened to that shirt," my father said as he kissed the top of my head and his hand crept around my waist. It was the same way he greeted mom in the morning. "Oh hey, pops, you're awake. I made your favorite tea and pancakes for breakfast." Ignoring his comment about his shirt that I stole from his closet.