Chapter VII. Truth

Your P.O.V.

'I just have to make sure of something.'
I thought.

- May I ask you something, Clarissa? I ask her, trying to sound as natural as possible, but my voice was still slightly tainted with the concoction of fear and adrenaline from the event occuring just before our meeting.
At least, it wasn't stammering anymore.

It was so quiet. All I could hear was the faint sound of a car in the distance, my still heavy breathing
and my heart still pounding against my ribcage. We must be the only people in the parking lot. But, to me, it seemed that we were the only people on Earth, as - in spite of my upcoming break down - my entire attention was on her and on her only. As if I was wordlessly pleading her with my eyes to assure me that everything was okay, even if it wasn't.

As if I was yarning for her to tell me a beautiful lie.

I look her in her malachite orbs and I see them shimmering with obvious interest and... I don't know, something else. Something hidden. Worry? Anticipation maybe? Fear? I'm not sure it would be right for me to label that unknown spark as such. I keep our eyes locked and I still see it. It never leaves her gaze. The spark. It moves continuously, dancing in her teal blue hues. And I can't help but wonder... what is it hiding? But more likely: what is she hiding?

We sit there in silence, eyes still locked. Little by little, I felt my fear subsiding and the tension in my body beginning to lessen. My train of thoughts gradually slowed down and eventually came to a stop.

'I really need to calm down, or else I'll take off or something." I thought.

I took in a deep breath, letting my lungs get filled with the fresh air of the night, tinted with a now faint smell of cigarette, but it didn't bother me. For a moment, I enjoy the feeling of inhaling the cool air. It felt nice, refreshing.

Finally I allowed myself to get lost in her gaze, as if there was something in those gorgeous eyes that had a hypnotic effect on me. The more I looked, the more I was drawn to them, as if I was under a spell. As if I was drugged. Now, don't get me wrong. It is not that I would know how that feels, I have never tried stuff like that, neither do I wanna.

However, I kinda felt... different. My state suddenly shifted from the almost panic attack from earlier to now feeling lightheaded and a little fuzzy, not caring about the car thing anymore and all my other insignificant worries. It was like a circle of ascending fear and almost dead lull that came in waves.

What was this? Was this my body beginning to shut down? Or was it my mind wearing me down and making me see things in a different and twisted way?

Was I no longer affraid? Unlikely. No. It can't be like that. I was petrified in horrific realization just moments ago. Besides, after that time when I was beaten to a pulp months ago, I have become very wary of everything, sometimes to the point my relatives said I was being paranoid.

But who could blame me?

No. It's not like I was suddenly brave. I was still afraid, even if it didn't feel as such anymore. I guess fear has a way of wearing you down until it feels like you're brave. But it's not bravery.

Then... What's the meaning of all this? If I am sitting near this stranger, in front of the grey BMW which almost killed me... maybe hours ago, which I assume it's hers.

Well, there's only one way to find out.

Why I am still here? Why am I not jumping on my legs and run back to my apartment? This seems the most normal thing to do, given the circumstances...