Chapter VIII. A cold touch

It was her. The driver of the vehicle that almost ended my life was her.
I blink repeatedly and try to wrap my mind around the fact and assimilate it, but... I can't.

'It's just too much to take in... All at once." I think, feeling overwhelmed with the implications of what had been revealed in front of my eyes just now.

My heartbeat begins to increase again and my breathing quickens once more. I try to stay calm and suppress this involuntary feat of anxiety and I succeed... Well, I didn't manage to calm my galloping cord, but at least I could come through with diminishing my breaths.

I just remembered one particular breathing exercise my mother taught me once - as a kid, sometimes I had really bad dreams. I used to wake up in the middle of the night, covered in a layer of cold sweat, terrified - screaming or crying. When this happened, my mom would always come sit by my bedside, take me in her arms and hold me close to her chest.

Flashback

- You need to take deep breaths, darling. Inhale for four seconds... Hold for three... Exhale for five...

And I watch her closely as she shows me how to do it correctly. And I got it.

I begin to breath and count the seconds in my head. After I repeated the exercise a couple of times, I felt a lot more better and calm. And I could sleep peacefully in the end.

End of the flashback

I begin to perform that breathing technique, hoping it would do the trick and as I was doing it, the my mothers voice rang in my head.

'Inhale for four seconds... Hold for three... Exhale for five...'

After a minute or so, I began feeling a lot more calmer and relaxed than I was before. My heart beat became regular and my breathing slow and deep.

My mind also began to fuction properly, the stress that had frozen it momentarily slowly melting away. 

One more time I feel both - my body and my mind - getting flooded with the serenity of a lullaby and I feel released from all the negative thoughts.

I take a look around myself, inspecting my surroundings and my eyes land on the fragile body of a girl, sitting on her knees on the dirty cement. I spend a few seconds taking in her features and the more my eyes lingered on them, the more I found her looking quite familiar, until it finally hit me in the face, like a cold splash of water.

'She's the girl driving the BMW.'

But this time, the thought didn't scared me. In fact, it barely had any effect on me at all.

'And what? She didn't kill me. She didn't even hurt me, did she? Here I am, alive and well, so why throwing a tantrum over this?' I thought, thankfull that I have finally returned to my rational self.

Then the image of her skinny body flashed in my mind.

'Besides, she seems so frail and sensitive she couldn't even hurt a fly.'
The thought made me crack a small smirk.

Suddenly, I felt embarrassed by the way I acted on front of her, plus the fact I made myself seem like a scared toddler.

'I ought to apologize and try not to make a fool out of myself even more than I have already done.' I decided.

- I'm sorry for overreacting, I tell her, looking her in the eyes and I notice that my voice also returned to its normal modulation.

The discovery made me smile on the inside.