Chapter 12

The next day I hadn't heard from Madame Zay so I assumed I wasn't needed. I also knew me and Margo were drifting apart. We weren't like we used to be. She was always trapped in a book off to the side and me always running around doing my own thing. So I wanted to do something nice for her.

When I woke up, the curtains were drawn and Margo was doing yoga. She was doing a spirit cleansing which I hated because it was her way of passively reminding me of all the shit I've done.

"Good morning." I chirped rubbing my eyes.

"Morning. Wanna do this spirit cleanse with me?" Margo asked a smile on her face.

I didn't want to. But it would make her happy. She needed to be happy for once.

I changed out of my pajamas and threw on an old t-shirt and some leggings.

We sat side by side. Indian style, eyes closed, hands clasped in our laps.

"So what now?" I asked after we sat in silence for a while. 

There was meditation music playing softly.

"You reflect. And direct your bad energy to an exit point. You have four exit points. Eyes, nose, ears, and mouth. The hardest exit point to reach is your ears. The easiest is your eyes. You find whichever exit point is right and cast out all that bad energy." Margo directed.

I had finally pushed my girlfriend to losing her mind.

"Ok. How do I know if I'm doing it right?" I questioned. 

"You think about all your regrets, bad moments, and hurt and you direct it out. Cast it out. You'll know it worked once you activate one of your exit points." Margo left from beside me.

The curtains closed and she walked around me, sage burning.

I just sat there. Replaying all the events in my head.

My sister.

My mom.

My Aunt.

The abandoned house.

Madame Zay.

Star.

Denver.

Before I knew I started screaming. Hot tears pouring out of me like a faucet.

Margo put the sage out and wrapped her arms around me.

"Shhh. Just let it all out. It's ok." Margo rocked me back and forth.

Before my Mom died of cancer, it was always me and Ailita, my sister. We were twins. Identical actually. My Aunt hated us for one reason and one reason only:

She hated our Mom.

People always speculated it was because her and our Dad had an incestuous relationship but I like to have hoped that wasn't the case. After our Mom died she had no choice but to leave us in our Aunt's custody seeing as though our Dad had been deployed to Syria. A few months in everything was good. Until my Mom's will came into play and she had left everything to the two of us. My Aunt tried many ways of tapping into the assets but nothing worked. No one who wasn't me or Ailita could get into it and even we had to be at least eighteen to get everything. But my Aunt still hadn't been as crude to us then. A verbal lashing here and there. It escalated once my Dad was killed overseas. Then the drinking and delusions started. Then came the physical abuse. One night, me and Ailita went to a party and our Aunt said we had been out with boys and doing drugs. Her usual delusions. She came at me first but Ailita shielded me. Once the coast was clear, we ran but Ailita didn't run fast enough. Our Aunt had hit her in the back of the head with a paper weight. There was blood sprayed across everywhere. I knew then that Ailita was gone. I couldn't feel her anymore. She had ascended, finally getting the good karma she deserved. We went to the hospital and she told the police Ailita had fell off the roof. I was too young and dumb to speak up when I was asked what happened. Hours later, Ailita was pronounced brain dead and the bitch told them to cut the cord immediately. I didn't even get the chance to say my goodbyes. 

My Aunt was too stingy and drunk to give Ailita the proper funeral so she had her cremated and never picked up her ashes. It always made me sick to my stomach if I thought about what happened to her for too long. Then she called up a lawyer and asked what would happen to Ailita's share in the will. It would all go to me. I think she wanted me dead too so she could inherit all $2,000. My mom worked her ass off but she didn't have much.

I stopped crying because at this point there was no moisture left in my body. My throat felt like I had swallowed cotton. 

Margo stood up and got me some water. I drank all of it and laid my head on her shoulder.

"You found your exit points." She kissed my forehead.

"I hate spiritual cleansing." I retorted wiping my cheeks with the backs of my hands.