Chapter 20

After we left Madame Zay's it was a long drive to nowhere. Me and Ailita didn't want to go back to the house but I did have to get my stuff.

"Where are we going?" Ailita asked.

"I need to get my things from the house and then I can get us a hotel until I get an apartment or something." I sighed.

"Cool. Wake me up when we get there." Ailita put her seat back and laid down.

I drove to the house, Madame Zay heavy on my mind. I didn't understand why she had left but maybe she was just out doing whatever it is she does.

I pulled up to the house and left the car running. I didn't want to wake Ailita. It had been a long night and it was almost morning.

I used my key to open the front door, Denver and Margo were in the kitchen talking.

"So your really leaving?" Denver asked.

"I think it's time. Too much has been said and done. Plus me and Ailita deserve a fresh start." I filled my duffle bag with my clothes and belongings.

"You realize as long as Madame Zay is around, you and Ailita will never have that? She is controlling the two of you. Using your intense pain and love for your sister against you. I don't understand why you just can't see where I'm coming from." Denver pleaded.

"Because each time I try to see where your coming from I get trapped in a never ending cycle of toxicity and hurt. You think it was easy for me to break up with Margo. We've been together for two years, you think I wanted any of this? I asked you guys to do one thing, and that was hold Star accountable for some of the shit she does and says. You couldn't even do that. I was damn near falling apart at the seams and again you guys chose Star over me. Its been happening for years. Years! And I'm the bad guy? I'm sorry but I just refuse to keep living like this. I wanna be happy for once. And now that Ailita is back that's what I plan to do." I finished packing and closed the duffle bag.

"What do you want us to do? Please we'll do anything." Denver pleaded.

I took a deep breath and stepped away from my bag.

"I don't know. I'm just tired." I huffed sitting next to my duffle bag.

"Then why don't you go to sleep." Denver leaned on the wall.

"Not what I meant. I'm just tired of fighting with you guys and all this back and forth. I just wanna go back to the way things were." I vented.

"Ok, we want the same things too. And I know I promised to stop saying this but hear me out for like two seconds. When did everything start going so wrong?" Denver questioned.

"Once we started drug and dash." I admitted.

"Exactly. It's the root to all of this. I know it brought us a lot of money but it's also what put us on Zay's radar. And I know she gave you back your sister and killed your Aunt but we are all in the same boat.  What Star did isn't ok, what I did isn't ok, and what Margo did was not ok. We are all shitty people for what we did to you. And I'm sincerely sorry. But where does this end? How long will Madame Zay have us working for her?" Denver continued.

"I don't know. I never thought about endgame. I usually just try and take one day at a time." I ruffled my curls.

"Look, you don't have to believe in what I'm saying or even take me serious. Just know I don't want to lose you as a friend. I also can't speak for Margo or Star. But I know endgame needs to end with us. Us getting away from Madame Zay and living like actual teenagers." 

He turned around and opened the door. Ailita was standing there looking at me.

"Tell me you didn't buy that high school musical we're all in this together bull crap." She scoffed.

"I don't know what to believe anymore." I laid back on my bed.

"This is what he wants you to do. Second guessing yourself when you make the decision to leave these assholes is what they want you to do." Ailita sat next to me.

I looked at her.

Ailita was different.

"When did you start cursing?" I frowned.

"Foster care changes you." She replied simply.

I just focused my attention on the ceiling.

"You know I'm right. Let's just get outta here and go catch up." She urged me.

I just turned on my side away from her.

"I don't want to leave right now." I rolled my eyes.

There was silence.

I felt her stand up and then the bedroom door slammed.

What the hell is going on?