Chapter three

'Hey mum. How are you doing? Am sorry it took me so long to come and see you. I have been so busy lately.' Merlyn touched her mother's slender arms.

She had grown insanely smaller from the last time she had visited her and she thought these people at the hospital weren't probably doing enough.

Janet Howard had been admitted to a psychiatric hospital fifteen years ago when she started showing signs on mental disability. She was depressed and suicidal. At multiple occasions, she had always tried to end her life but wasn't successful on any. Merlyn always stopped her. So she decided what was best for her was to take her to a psychiatric hospital. She needed help.

But Merlyn knew better. Mommy hadn't wanted to leave her. Daddy brought this. He got married to another woman and got a new family. He left them. He lied to mummy that they would be together forever. Where was he then? Out in California on a vacation with his new family. They were useless. Obviously he always sent in money to cater for Janet's medication. But that wasn't enough. She wanted him there but he couldn't do it just for mum. He had forgotten them just like that.

'Mum? You know I always wondered why you always tried to kill yourself. Was I not as important to you as dad was?' she said as she removed her mother's hair from the tight ponytail and let is loose. Janet didn't answer.

'There. You look beautiful that way. Try to let your hair down more often.' She said as she pulled out a stick of lipstick from her purse.

'Am going to make you look beautiful today mommy. I have been given permission to take you out for a walk today.' Janet's eyes shone with excitement. She had got so tired of sitting around in that place for fifteen years.

'Oh don't get so excited,' she said focusing on the lipstick she was applying. 'It won't be so long. Just an hour and we are back. Also you are going out in your wheel chair.' Janet looked confused.

'Don't you see it mommy? We can't risk you running away to do God knows what. You must be under control.' She said replacing the lipstick.

'Oh and yes, hospital authorities said it was okay to take a walk and they said you need to be kept strictly in the wheel chair. I got you a new one by the way. I hope you love it. I left in in the trunk of my car. I didn't want to ruin the surprise coming in here with it.' She got out a syringe from her purse.

'Now I need you to be still. This will only hurt a little and that will be it.' She said as she injected her left thigh. Janet flinched.

'You won't even ask what this is for? Oh Mommy don't be so rude! This will make you paralysed for a few hours so you won't run away from me when we get out.' She smiled at her and put back her syringe in the purse.

'So mummy be still as I run back to my car to get you that new wheel chair I got you. I promise you will love it.' She said as she walked out but before she did, she turned back, 'that medicine takes effect immediately so don't try running out.' She smiled and closed the door.

Janet was stuck in her chair. She couldn't move her legs. She didn't want to stay here. Merlyn was a monster, she would kill her. She wanted to call Rachael to come get her but the intercom button was so far. She couldn't get to it. She didn't trust her daughter one bit. She had to get out of here before Merlyn came back. She used all her energy to push further to the intercom but no avail. She tried again. And still, failed. Then she pushed further but ended up on the floor. She groaned in pain. Her ribs hurt so much. Then she heard footsteps towards the door and prayed silently it was Rachael her nurse. They had got very close and had found a great friend in her. She always listened to her.

The door then opened and she saw long black hair. She groaned in anger. It was Merlyn clad with a wheel a very nice looking wheel chair. Soft cushioned seats, a head and arm rest. Merlyn saw her on the ground and ran to her.