Chapter seven

Chapter seven

Monday 23rd May, 2019

6:00 am

Lucy got startled from her sleep by her alarm clock. She checked the clock. 6:00 am. She groaned. She could never get used to waking up early to get ready for work. But today was a little different she couldn't wait to meet Bett for answers. Why had he hidden his son? He had never talked about him at any one time not even hinted it. She had always thought he was just a nice guy who had no luck with women. She had known him for a little over six years and he didn't trust her enough to tell her about his son.

Trust. She thought grimly as she pushed the thought away just as quickly as it came to her mind. This was not the time to think about herself. Today was about Bett and his secretiveness but deep down in her heart she hoped she had reminded Jason to act like he didn't know anything. She wouldn't want Bett to think that she ratted him out.

Standing up from the bed and opening the blind to let the sun in, she squinted from the intensity of the rays. She removed her pyjamas and walked to the bathroom to complete her morning routine. Somehow she wouldn't wait to go to work that day. Answers were what she needed. As she dressed up in a navy blue pant suit and a white long sleeved shirt that she tucked in. Tied her blonde hair in a tight pony tail and applied a little make up. Slipped on black stilettos picked a matching jacket and her black leather back and walked out of her apartment at exactly 7:30am and into her car.

This was going to be an interesting day. She smiled at herself as she pulled out of her building's parking lot.

*****

7:30am

On the other side of the city, Craig was tapping his foot restlessly in a cab as he went to the airport. He had managed to get an early morning flight back to London and he just couldn't wait to get there. Bett had made him question Jeff's, his 'father', sincerity. He wanted to prove to Bett that his step father was a sincere man. He needed to do it so he could wipe the smirk off Bett's face. He had looked so contented with his information as he had told him what he knew. It was like Bett was trying to point out the fact that Jeff was just as shitty as he was.

Craig groaned in frustration. He just couldn't wait to get back to London and get real answers but there was one problem. The cab driver was driving really slowly that it was getting to him.

"Excuse me could you try driving a lot faster than this. I've got a flight to catch and missing it is not in my best interests." He said trying to sound polite but failing. The man just looked at him and nodded his head in agreement but didn't even increase his speed one bit.

Damn him

Craig was too busy typing furiously on his phone when he was startled by the screeching sound of the tires as the cab came to a halt. Before he could register what was going on, a man slid into the car to his left and the cab started off immediately.

"I don't remember agreeing to share a ride." Craig visibly irritated now.

"Am sorry I didn't see you there. That is why I got in." The other man commented sarcastically clearly not bothered by Craig's banter.

"Then why did you get in?" Craig shot him a glare.

"I guess because I want a ride to where am going. I don't plan on walking there." The other man replied as if Craig had just asked a stupid question.

"I don't think this was the only ride on the road." Craig snorted. He couldn't believe the disrespect going on at this very moment. Just fucking great. On the day he was in the worst mood is when some jerk decides to share a cab.