one

As I step out of the nail salon,  I breathe a sigh of relief.  Another thing crossed off my list of things to do today, which seems far too long.  It's not like getting my nails done at the same place I've been getting them done at since I was 16 is a big deal, but at least I can move on with my busy day.  I've still got to pick up groceries and drop off my bills at the post office before I pick up my niece for the weekend.

I take only a glance at my watch, reading 4:34, and head for the exit of the mall.  If only I could spend the rest of the day hanging around every store in the mall without a care in the world or all the responsibilities of a college student and full-time babysitter.  But I can't, so I rush out the doors.  Or, I start to anyway.  When I get to the small door of the back exit, a tall guy is standing in my way.

Not just any tall guy, but an attractive tall guy wearing this patterned button down shirt and big round glasses.  I watch as he scratches the stubble on his chin, brows tilted together, staring down at his phone in confusion.  Without thinking, I immediately offer, "Need help?"

He looks up quickly with a surprised expression, running his fingers through his dark brown hair.  "Oh, uh, just trying to find a friend," his deep voice explains.

My heart beats extra hard in that stupid high school crush kind of way as I stare up at the guy.  Hoping to keep the conversation going, all I come up with is, "Do you need directions or.."

"If you know your way around, that would really help me out," he smiles in the most beautiful way I think I've ever seen a boy smile.

"Born and raised right here in Cali," I smile back.  "Where you looking to go?"

"I'm supposed to be getting picked up at a Starbucks somewhere around here, but I have no idea where anything is.  I thought maybe someone in the mall would have directions, and lucky me, I bumped into you."

"Oh, there's one right down on the opposite end of the mall," I describe, "You can't really see it because it's pushed back kind of behind the Urban."

"Oh, okay," he chuckles.  "I think I'll be good to find it.  Thanks a lot."

"No problem," I giggle back, rocking on my heels.  I need to leave, but it's hard to pull myself away from the cutest frat boy-ish guy ever.

"Anyways, you're pretty cute.  Do you wanna grab a coffee while I wait for my friend?"

My heart stutters at the compliment, but my logical side reminds me I have to go!  I don't have time to hang out with a frat boy.  I have to pick up Harper in an hour, for Pete sake.

"Actually, I'm in a pretty big rush," I inhale tensely, "But, uh, if you want to give me your number, I'll text you when I'm free."

"Sure," he beams, and I feel smoother than I've ever felt before.  I type the numbers into my phone as he lists them, then getting to the contact name.  Just as I'm about to open my mouth to ask, he reads my mind and says, "It's Ted.  You?"

"Y/n," I breathe awkwardly, stuffing my phone back in my pocket.  "Thanks, I'll text you soon."

"Cool," he breathes back, nodding with a simple, "Bye."

And I'm on my way, trying to get things done while thinking about my possible date with Ted, the most attractive frat boy I've ever laid eyes on.

I'm sweating. My t-shirt sleeves are all rolled up paired with my shorts, and it still feels like I can't breathe in my dorm room. I look over to the clock. 9:03. I glance back down from my bed to the floor, where 8 year old Harper is sound asleep on the air mattress. I actually made it to my brother's house by a reasonable time and got to hang out with my niece for a while before she crashed.

Now, I'm stuck with my own break until tomorrow morning. Saturday and Sunday are all for me to hang out with Harper, then it's back to my regular fast food job I get every summer. Then, something clicks in my head. I have a date coming up. Something to do besides babysit and hang out in the dorm or call up my mom. I can see Ted, the super tall, cute guy I met in the mall.

I glance at the clock one more time. 9:06. Is it too late in the day to text him? Surely not. I have nothing better to do, and he can always see it later if he's sleeping or something. I figure I might as well.

Hey, it's Y/n, just saying hi! I can't hang out this weekend but maybe some time during the week we can have that coffee?

And I sit back in bed, awaiting a response and thinking over everything. And I wait and wait, letting my mind wander. Maybe I should just go to bed and check back in the morning. I need sleep to keep Harper's day tomorrow exciting and fun. Just as the clock hits 9:18, my phone vibrates.

Ted
That's okay with me. My group of friends and I are gonna hit a party Sunday night if you can go and we can catch coffee Monday or something

Can do just as long as coffee is on my lunch break from 12:30 to 1

Ted
Sure thing, you want us to pick you up for that party?

If you don't mind that'd be cool. I'm at the college dorms right by the mall

Ted
We'll be there about 8?

Can do! Can't wait

Ted
Me either

Score for me. I honestly can't wait. I haven't been on any form of date in what feels like centuries, and I'm not a typical party-goer. It'll be nice to meet new people for once and actually get out during the summer instead of just working and talking to family.  I haven't felt this many butterflies since high school.