two

I can just imagine my mom's voice.  "You're being so silly."  She always says that when I get crazy over simple stuff like this, but she's honestly right.  It's just a casual party, not even dressy.  Yet here I am, freaking over what to wear.  I mean, I did have reason to freak on my prom night back in high school, but ever since, it's always been simple stuff like this.  Stuff that shouldn't make butterflies eat me away and make me change outfits seven times like this.

I look over myself for the millionth time.  I've got to be running close on my time here, but I need to feel good about this.  I don't have a rational reason why, but this party feels like the most important thing in my life so far.  Like my life's been leading up to this moment.  Then again, things like this always stress me out of my mind.

My hair's fine, I don't really care much about that and some light makeup to match considering that's not my forte.  The outfit.  The stupid outfit.  I asked Ted how casual or dressy to be, and he said casual.  But nothing feels right.  It's either too lazy or too fancy, and I've never had so much trouble just dressing like an everyday person.  This one just might be okay, though.  

I have on a long sleeve shirt instead of the tank tops and t-shirts I tried before, but this one's very form fitting.  It's simple, plain, blush colored.  I'm okay with that.  That's tucked into my third pair of jeans, these one's just plain black skinnies with some open rips.  Underneath the few rips are wide fishnets, but they're not too flashy with these jeans.  That's okay, too.  Better than everything I've tried so far!  Lastly, the shoes.  My favorite shoes of all time, and I'm glad I finally feel like they match everything else.  Decently tall high heel booties, all black with black laces.  

I'm okay with it.

It's not bad.  I actually feel okay.

That feels so strange to think.

But I don't even have time to think about it more, looking over to my clock.  Ted said his friend was picking me up at about 8, and it's already- 7:55?!  I'm not even outside yet, and they could be here.  Oh God.  Butterflies, they're tearing me apart as I rush to collect my things.  Phone, wallet, keys- I have to be forgetting something.  It feels like I am, but I don't have time to bother trying to figure out what it is.  I have to get outside of the dorms now.

I march down the stairs so fast I think I'm going to fall in the heels, even though I mastered walking in them in middle school.  Butterflies, they're eating at my stomach.  Flying up my throat and sitting there, making it hard to breathe.  Flying all through me, the tingling feeling coursing through my blood.  

But I'm excited.  So excited my heart's beating out my chest.  I'm so excited I can't think because I'm thinking about Ted and his friends and a real party.

And then I'm outside.  Out in open California air, soft breeze.  I can breathe again.  But not for long, as I see a car pulling up slow and steady.  Right by the section of sidewalk I'm standing on.  My phone buzzes in my pocket, and without thinking, I check the message.

Ted
I see you

By time I look back up again, there it is.  Glowing headlights right in front of my face, waiting for me.  With a deep breathe of the crisp night air, I shove my phone back in my pocket and click over to the backseat door of the passenger side.  I have to keep my cool, focus on introducing myself to Ted's friends.  Memorizing faces, names, everything.

Focus.

When I get in, the car is full of boys.  Ted's squished in the middle of the back, clearly way too big for this.  Two equally as tall boys are in the front and-

"Hey," Ted smiles perfectly.  I can't breathe again.  I have to keep my cool.  "Y/n, this is Carson," he begins, motioning to the driver's seat as the car takes off again.  The passenger seat, "Schlatt," and then on Ted's opposite side, "And Cooper.  The rest of our friend's are meeting us there, but, uh, yeah."

I can't focus on Ted's voice.  All I can do is stare.  At.. Cooper.  Cooper?  How..?  Never in my life did I think I would see him again.. not that Cooper.  Not the same stupid California boy with the stoner laugh that I dated back in high school.  No.  This can't be happening.

And he has the same look of terror I'm sure I'm wearing.  Both of us stare intently at each other, and God, I wish I knew what he's thinking.  Is he having flashbacks to senior year?  To everything that happened?  To who we used to be? 

I don't think I'm breathing.

But I put back on a neutral face, trying to smile and be nice.  I can't clue anyone into the fact I know Cooper.  Or at least, used to.  "Uh," I laugh nervously, "It's nice to meet you guys.  And thanks for picking me up."

"No problem," Carson answers from the driver's seat, seeming polite.  

Then, I hear a voice even deeper than Ted's tease from the passenger seat, "So, tell us about your newest catch, Ted."

I can't help but giggle out of the awkwardness and nervousness building up.  I think I'm blushing from all of it.

"Oh, shut up," Ted chuckles back, deep and firm.  "We just met, her name's Y/n, she's from here, and that's about all I know."

I almost miss it, but I catch Cooper mumble under his breath.  And God, that voice, even when annoyed, makes my heart stop beating for a second.  "Yeah she's from here.."

"Oh," Schlatt continues, "So she's not your new accessory?"  Carson laughs at that, and Ted chuckles along.  I laugh, too.

"No," he answers, "But don't try anything."

"Who's to say I can't try anything?" he continues to taunt, still not even turned around to face us.  He's so monotone yet sarcastic that I can't tell if he's serious or joking.

"Me."  It's unexpected, but Cooper speaks loud and steady since the first time I've seen him again.  It sends shivers down my spine.  He's so overprotective, and I haven't seen that since he was a stupid 17 year old boy.  He has to be, what, 21 now?  Same age as me.

Yet he hasn't changed a bit.

"Wow," Schlatt chuckles, "Where'd this come from, Coopie?"

"Don't call me that."

You could cut the tension with a knife.  And I want to.

"Big talk for a little man," he continues, just as monotone, from the front.

"I'm serious."

I'm not sure how well these guys know Cooper, or at least think they do, but that is the most serious tone he's ever had.  Cooper's never been serious, never been protective, over anything.  And based on his tone and expression alone, he's either a Hollywood grade actor now or about to freak out on someone.

"Stop it, guys," Carson advises.

I agree, "Yeah, I didn't mean to start anything."  Did I start something?  It feels like just my presence starts every kind of drama you can imagine.

Ted jumps in, playing it off casually, "It's not your fault, these guys are just being idiots."

But I don't know if they are.  Cooper seems mad, and he's never mad.  And Schlatt- I have no idea what he's up to.  Maybe the butterflies were right.  I just ignored their warning.