ten

After a couple of seconds, Cooper emerges from the kitchen with a box of cookies, a bottle of white wine, and a wine glass. I watch as he puts everything down, handing the wine stuff to Schlatt and beginning to pass out the edibles.

This is nothing close to who I am. Cooper's always been typical California boy, skater, stoner, etc., but I've never had a desire to try any of that. Including alcohol, which Schlatt seems to be very fond of. I watch as he starts to open the screw cap of the wine bottle, pausing and putting everything down on the side table.

His deep voice surprises me as he says, "Before I start drinking, Y/n, can I talk to you a second?"

"Uh, sure," I giggle awkwardly, as the whole room is now silent. Schlatt starts towards the kitchen, leaving me to follow behind nervously.

When we get there, out of everyone's sight, Schlatt instantly starts speaking. I think I'm shaking again, but I can't tell with the butterflies beating at my insides. "Listen, I'm sorry about last night." My mind flashes back to all of those texts, everything he said to me.

I can't help but ask, "Why did you say all that?" It's vague but encompasses my overall confusion.

Schlatt closes his eyes and sighs before looking back down at me to reply. "I was drunk, as you could tell. Way worse than usual. When I get that far past gone, not only do I run my stupid mouth, I exaggerate things."

My feelings are stirring around inside of me, jumbling together and getting ready to boil over. Part of me is relieved that Schlatt probably didn't mean all that and that it can be put behind us, but there's this twinge of disappointment that he wasn't really so sure about it as he seemed. This twinge of.. longing. I get angry suddenly, more at my own emotions than at Schlatt himself.

"So how do you really feel?" I seethe through clenched teeth, trying not to let my voice carry into the next room. Before he can answer, I continue, "And what does it mean when you say you want a 'piece' of me?"

Schlatt keeps his stupid poker-face, taking a moment before finally whispering back, "How I feel about you isn't important. You and Ted are seeing each other, and I'm not going to do that to my friend. I didn't mean anything by that. I was just drunk."

My eyes roll without me trying. Thinking about everything that's happened over this week, tears well in my eyes and I lightly shove Schlatt square in the chest. "That's such bullshit. I get you not wanting to hurt Ted, but you could at least tell me the truth."

"You want the truth?" he spits back, actually sounding frustrated. "You want the fucking truth, bitch?"

"Yes!" I whisper-yell back, feeling hot tears spill over my cheeks.

In a split second, Schlatt's body is pressed up against mine, heavy hands holding me in place by the waist. Lips crash into mine in that same moment in the most furious, rough, harsh kiss I've ever felt. Then, it's over. It's just a tingling feeling left on my lips, Schlatt immediately backing away from me. Stiff air sits between us.

"That's how I feel."

I can't speak. Can't think, can't breathe. Can't.

"I.." I mutter, still speechless. What do I say to that? How do I feel about it? I don't even know. "We can't.. You can't keep doing this. You can't keep just coming on to me then saying it means nothing. You can't keep blatantly flirting with me, whether it's a joke or not, and then trying to say you wouldn't do that to your friend. That's not how this works."

"Then how does it work, Y/n?" Schlatt asks, back to stone cold monotony. "You can't beg to know how I feel then tell me to back off. I don't know what you want from me."