five

I barely get the digits in my phone before I hear my name being called from within the crowd.

"Y/n! Schlatt!" Ted falls into the clearing from the sea of people, everyone following behind him. Carson, Cooper, and four boys I don't know. "Hey, guys," Ted smiles so bright it hurts. Especially after what I just did. Ted starts to motion to the rest of the friend group and list off their names. "Y/n, this is Travis, this is Charlie, Noah, and Josh."

I smile as politely as I can, trying to get Schlatt off my mind and memorize everyone's names and faces. I glance back and forth between them and try to get it all into my mind. "Hi," I breathe, getting a little overwhelmed with all of the new stuff going on.

"So," Ted continues, "What are we doing now that we got the group together?"

One of the new boys, Josh I think, answers, "Well party, obviously. We didn't come here for nothing."

A couple of the guys laugh, along with myself. I see Schlatt sipping his drink from the corner of my eye as Carson, Josh, and Travis disappear back out into the house, the rest remaining in the little clearing.

"So," Cooper speaks, which I find extremely forward of him, "What'd you guys do while we were gone?"

"Talk," Schlatt immediately says. It's a good thing he can cover for me because I think I'm too choked up to talk. "Exchanged numbers, too."

Ted speaks before Cooper can respond, asking jokingly, "Do you guys want to go back into the party or are we just going to hang out in the corner like losers?"

"Losers," Charlie answers. "I didn't sign up for this."

And wow, do I relate.

Noah, however, decides, "I'm going to at least try to enjoy it, even if I don't want to be here. Are any of you coming with me?"

No one answers at first, but Schlatt finally agrees, "What the hell," and slams down his now empty Solo cup. "Let's go. Y/n?"

"Uh, okay," I breathe, trying not to be rude.

Ted steps so that he's next to me, adding, "Okay, then I'll go, too."

And then it's Cooper, rolling his eyes and following as Noah starts to leave.

Lastly, Charlie follows because I'm sure he doesn't want to just sit around by himself.

Our group migrates towards wherever Noah's leading us. Ted's right alongside of me, and as soon as we're back into the sea of people, I feel his hand brush mine. I grab back at the obvious signal, glad he's back. I love the way his hand feels holding mine, the way he smiles down at me. I can't throw away that opportunity.

Finally, we reach the same place Ted and I were. The leather couch. This time, it's completely empty. Schlatt throws himself down first, then Noah and then Charlie, leaving Ted, Cooper, and I standing in front of them.

Ted sighs exaggeratedly, asking, "Well what are we supposed to do, sit on the floor?"

"Sure!" Schlatt chuckles, earning a nod from Charlie and Noah both.

"Fine!" Ted agrees defiantly, sitting cross-legged right in front of Noah's feet. Being our fingers are laced together, I'm forced to sit down in front of Schlatt's feet, and Cooper follows by sitting in front of Charlie.

I'm looking over Ted's features when I hear Schlatt speak. "You lovebirds still holding hands?"

Charlie adjusts his glasses before adding, "Oh, Ted, I didn't know you and Y/n were a thing."

"They're not," Cooper interrupts harshly. What's his deal? Was Schlatt right?

Schlatt jokes back to Charlie, "He's testing her out first. Before their first date."

Ted flippantly defends, "I am not testing Y/n out. I figured it would be nice to invite her out because I am a gentleman."

Cooper interrupts the light nature of the conversation again by stating coldly, "Y/n never goes to parties." I blush, wishing he'd shut up. "I bet she took an hour just to pick an outfit because she was stressing herself out so much." How does Cooper still know all of these stupid little details about me? And why is he telling everyone?

Everyone but Schlatt looks at him with utter confusion, and he has to pay for his slip up with an explanation. "I've known her forever. Way before you, Ted."

And that's not what I expected. How do I manage to make things tense without even talking? It's just a mention of my name, and everyone goes ape shit. Cooper gets defensive, Schlatt gets weird.. everything goes sour. The butterflies are eating at me again. And these ones are definitely not good.

"Well," Charlie mediates. "That's cool. Y/n seems nice, so hopefully we all get to know her like you, right?"

"Yeah," Noah agrees. Schlatt only nods.

The party is very much still swirling around us as Charlie and Noah try to start up light conversation again. I feel like I'm going to get trampled with all of these people walking by me, so I scoot forward towards the couch. Afterwards, I look up to see Schlatt grinning down at me. I'm confused at first, watching as he leans back on the couch.

I can hear Ted and Charlie talking but pay them no mind as I see what Schlatt's doing. He's leaning back so it looks like I'm giving him head. I finally get it as he starts nodding, spreading his legs, slouching down, and licking his lips. I can't help giggle all stupid and girly because that's just downright hilarious.

And of course, my stupid giggle makes the others look over. None of them get the joke because they can't see what Schlatt and I see, so I just keep giggling. And Schlatt chuckles. And it devolves into us laughing like maniacs whilst Ted and Cooper stare at me, and Noah and Charlie laugh along with us.

"What?" Ted breathes, clearly wanting to be in on the joke.

I see Schlatt lean back and go to lick his lip again but fail because of how hard he's laughing. And I can't explain because I'm giggling so hard I can't breathe. Eventually, we calm down enough to explain, but I'm not sure I want to. Before I get the chance to, Schlatt decides for me, "You can't see it. But oh God, is it funny."

"Tell me," Ted says with the trace of a laugh.

With a grin not nearly as terrifying as Schlatt's, Noah says, "It's better if you don't."

Schlatt erupts into laughter again, "You could see that?"

"Hell yeah, man!" Noah laughs.

And I laugh, too. It's the best feeling ever to feel like I'm just hanging out with friends, making memories, being a part of this foreign world. Well, probably not better than the feeling of Schlatt's lips on mine, not better than the feeling of staring into Ted's eyes and holding his hand.

Nothing compares to those two feelings.