ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕆𝕟𝕖

In a restaurant sat Erica Taylor, dressed pretty for a date she never had. She could feel the eyes on her. They pitied her, that much she could sense.

It was the second time that Erica tried to go on a date with a special someone- a significant other. But, like the last, he didn't bother to show up.

The hot rush of embarrassment intensified as the clock ticked by, passing the 3-hour mark. What once was naive optimism, crumbled into a pitiful pile of self-doubt and regret.

Erica waved for her check and hurriedly got out of that stupid fancy restaurant, like some killer fleeing a crime scene. Outside, she held her phone. She contemplated but decided against calling her best friend, dialing her brother instead.

'Hey, um, the date's over. Can you pick me up?'

'..... .. ..... . . ..'

'I know. I was going to. Just hurry, please. It's about to rain.'

'. .. ... . .'

'Thanks. Bye.'

//click//

A crack of lightning ripped through the sky above and down came a gentle trickle. Then it rained cats and dogs.

Erica held herself close, shivering. She got drenched from the sudden downpour within a second. However, there wasn't an awning in sight to hide from the rain.

Her brother tried to beat the rain but arrived too late. Erica didn't care, despite the dangers of catching a cold- the comfort of her bed was all she wanted.

Corey, her brother, broke the ice, "Didn't go so well, did it?"

"Of course not," Erica huffed, "This was the second time that my date didn't show up." She reiterated, "The second time, Corey!"

Corey placed his free hand on her bouncing knee, "Calm down, shit happens."

'I wish it were Jim.'

"Huh?" Corey let out a confused chuckle.

Erica's attention on the scrolling outside befell Corey with an angry look, "I said, I wish it were Jim. He's a million times nicer than that loser."

'He's getting married, Erica. He's got a family of his own now, but you guys are still the best of buds. It's not like he's disappearing forever.'

The tears broke through, no matter how hard Erica fought them back.

'It sure as hell feels like it.'

🎸🎸🎸

A week had passed since that horrible night. Erica stood in front of her bedroom mirror, holding up a short cream sweetheart dress. She recalled the many times Jim pleaded for her to attend his wedding. Erica only agreed to shut him up. It would be in nearly a month- in July. The regret only brewed and festered more with each passing day. Many times Erica thought of telling him the truth, but the thought of his disappointed face stopped her every time.

Erica placed the dress back in her closet, exiting her room. Her eyes landed on her brother, Corey Taylor. The Corey Taylor. A little grin graced her lips at how thankful she was for him being in her life, and for his astounding band, Slipknot.

"You ready?" he said, looking from the couch.

'Yeah, I guess.'

They were heading to the studio to meet up with the others. Erica's anxiety couldn't have been worse.

(A/N: Thank you 7_MICK_7, for inspiring me to write this story.

If you're curious, or simply waiting for the next chapters, go check out their Mick Thomson fanfic, Not Meant to be.)