ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕋𝕨𝕠

Erica stared blankly at the window in the recording booth. More at the glass itself than her friends inside working.

"Do you know what's up with Erica?" Questioned Jim, "She won't tell me a damn thing."

Corey looked over, Erica's attention was back to playing something on her phone.

'Here's all that I know: that date she went on, again her date didn't show up. Other than that, I've got no fuckin' clue.'

Confused was an understatement. Jim wasn't getting the answers he wanted.

'Huh?!' Erica was just as confused when Jim pulled her outside the studio.

🎸🎸🎸

Again, Erica found herself standing before her mirror, holding up her sweetheart dress. Guilt entangled her every time she questioned her appearance in it, but this time she didn't feel nearly as bad as she would have.

Her mind drifted back to what happened earlier that day.

'Erica, what the hell is wrong? You haven't talked to me in nearly a week.'

'It's nothin, really.'

'You know you can always talk to me.'

'I know, I know. But, seriously, I'm fine. There's nothing wrong anymore.'

'Corey told me what happened. I'm sorry it turned out that way.'

'Don't be. Shit happens.'

She still couldn't bring herself to tell him, but with Jim taking her to the side, wanting to talk to her-- to make sure she was OK, scratched at the surface of her troubles.

'I'll never stop being there for you.'

Erica put her dress back in the closet. She fixed her bangs and touched up what little makeup she wore-- plain lip gloss and a subtle layer of mascara. Modesty was her thing, and thanks to the glasses she wore, she didn't feel pressured in wearing copious amounts of makeup.

She questioned herself as to why she even bothered to dress nicely. A night out with the guys was nothing to look pretty for, in her opinion. A simple knee-length floral dress and strappy sandals felt a bit much to her. Erica would've been better off wearing her usual ripped jeans, baggy t's, and worn-out sneakers. In her opinion, she was one of the guys.

"Corey, hurry up! Joey texted, he said the other's are about to show up." Erica called after her brother. He came out of his room, still trying to get his jacket on.

He smiled, "What's the, uh, occasion?" Corey pointed at her outfit, "Already found you another guy?"

'Shut it big mouth. Just thought I'd look nice is all.'

They were going out to dinner, specifically.

🎸🎸🎸

While at the pub, Jim sat back, watching the many TVs they had with the boys. It was game night. No one was more enthusiastic as Mick, who came dressed in his team's jersey. Usually, Mick would stay home and enjoy the silence, but the finals were on, and his fourth beer was on its way.

The bell above the door gave a ring, averting Mick's attention. Corey held the door as Erica stepped through, pretty as ever. Meek and shy, Erica bashfully looked to the floor to avoid the eye contact around her. But when the two finally approached, her face was bright and lively, greeting Jim with a hug and a few waves to the guys.

Mick's eyes shot back to the TV's screen, narrowly missing the touch-down.

"Here, saved you a seat," said Joey.

Erica accepted, taking the spot between him and Sid.

Mick couldn't help taking a glance now and then, Erica was right in his line of sight, between himself and the TV screen. Despite it not being Erica's fault, it agitated him. Sid was goofy as ever, making her laugh. Making her go back and forth, and in and out of blocking Mick's view. Her smile, her laugh, Sid did it all.

As the night went on, and the beer flowed, the more Erica enjoyed herself. But, she still felt troubled, sitting in front of Mick. His face bore an irritated scowl. Erica could easily recall the first time meeting the group as if it happened yesterday.

'Guys, this is my little sister.'

'Nice meet you all, I'm Erica.'

'Hi, Erica.'

Mick was the last to be greeted. He loomed over the group like a dark figure. Arms crossed, mask still on.

It was damn terrible, particularly after having met Mick.

'Aah!'

'What the f--!'

A tumble down the stairs, after running into Mick's hulking frame. Erica took him with her after the nasty bump going up the steps. She was too busy to realize he was at the top, grabbing onto his coveralls, tumbling back down the staircase.

'Sorry, sorry! I didn't see you.'

When they got back to their feet, Mick gnarled.

'Get better fuckin' glasses then!'

Afterward, she vowed never to get in his way. Yet, she sat in front of him, nothing but the table and five feet of air between them. And after years, Erica's petty fear of Mick still lasted.

Yet, after years of knowing each other, Mick couldn't admit his feelings for her.