III

macie squinted her eyes open. saturday. no homework, no assignments and most importantly; no bowers gang.

macie slipped on her baggy jeans and white crop top, along with a red bandana to wear on her head.

the girl skipped downstairs to see her brother sitting at the kitchen counter drinking coffee. "hey, mace," he spoke. "i need you to come into town with me today to buy groceries and shit for mom." macie nodded. "sure, lemme just get my shoes."

the two teenagers sat in the car, blaring africa by toto on full volume. the two sang fondly.

"that will be 42.00." the cashier informed. jax pulled out his wallet. macie heard loud voices coming from behind her and turned her head.
"i told you, belch," the ugly voice spoke. "we can easily pocket these." henry and belch. macie froze and turned back around. "hey, jax?" she uttered. "yeah?" jax asked in confusion. "i'm going to go to the chemist." she informed. "okay, see you in a few." jax responded.

macie walked away in the opposite direction from the bowers gang and exited the shop, feeling the fresh air hit her face. she bolted down the street, hoping they didn't spot her.
she entered the pharmacy to meet the scent of old toothpaste and nail polish remover.

the girl fumbled through the aisles and discreetly picked up a box of tampons. she hastily made her way up to the chemist. "hello, macie." mr keene's crusty voice said. "hi, mr keene." macie responded, uncomfortably sliding the box of tampons on the counter. "8.99."

macie walked out of the shop, holding the box up to her chest. she turned the corner and.. crash. she bumped into a tall, lanky figure and of course, given her luck, it was none other than the local psychopath, member of the bowers gang; patrick hockstetter.

"whatcha got there?" his raspy voice spoke, snatching the box out of macie's hands. macie uncomfortably shifted. patrick read the box and gave it back. macie could tell he was flustered. "..so what you like-shove it up your-"
"bye, patrick." macie mumbled, brushing past the boy.

the girl was quiet on the drive home. "hey, mace?," jax asked. "are you okay?" macie shrugged. "did you go to school with liam smith last year?" she asked. jax nodded. "yeah, he's cool." he responded blankly. macie nodded and continued staring into space.