CHAPTER 2

Midnight. Marissa is reading a book on a dim light of her lamp. She tends to spend her sleepless nights reading books or doing things that she considers productive in her room.

"You're still awake?" a familiar voice shocked Marissa which made her jump out of bed and held her hard cover book tightly aiming to smash it. Liam is standing leaning by Marissa's window while hiding his hands inside his pockets which seems he's been a long time there.

"What are you doing here?" She asks with a shake in her voice.

"Will try to convince you to come with me." Liam said while walking towards Marissa. But this only makes Marissa more nervous and curious. 

"Where are we going? and why would I come with a man I just met earlier?"

"Uhmm... I'm just going to ask you for a walk but . . ."

"Do you mean a date?" Marissa said and Liam nodded with agreement. Marissa burst in a sarcastic laugh and takes his book down.

"Look, I like you. Not the Eros love. But you really interests me because I never met a woman before who's really determined to achieve her goals without being a subordinate by a man" Liam responded being overwhelmed by his emotions without realizing that he forgot the 19th century accent.

Marissa is confused by the way he talks but she understands what he means. She blushes by the compliment which took her a moment to respond.

"Will you ensure that you will stop this nonsense after this?" Marissa said and Liam agrees unsurely.

They jump down the window and ride their horses to the nearby lake. As they arrive, Marissa stands there feeling so cold in her nightgown watching Liam lay a table cloth by the lake. He places platters of chocolates on the table and offers Marissa to sit.

"I assume you did the same to hundred of girls you date" she takes a seat beside him.

"No, I don't. I never dated a girl before" he said and picked the triangular chocolate. "Try this one" Marissa got it from his hand and took a bite.

"Well, this tastes wonderful. What do you call this?"

"I'm afraid I can't tell you that but soon" Liam said, not minding Marissa who enjoys her chocolate.

"Tiyo Jose never mentioned a nephew before. Where are you from, gentlemen?" 

"Kindly call me Lisandro. I'm from Sampaloc"

"Are you also studying Engineering the same as Tiyo Jose?"

"Ah yes... In University of Santo Tomas"

"You must be intelligent! What interests you from pursuing the course?"

"Uh hmm It wasn't my interest actually. It's a family choice"

"Good thing you did not struggle in learning the course that you did not like" Marissa said which chuckles Liam

"It was hard but I know that my parents knows better since they've been through the same"

"Yes, they've been through the same, in their times. What if you fail? They are supposed to be to blame but of course that will not happen since you're the one studying" they look at each other at the moment but Liam looked away.

"You're right. I've thought the same thing sometimes" he laid his back on the table cloth and placed his hands behind his back neck. "How about you? You're a successful painter, is it a fair choice" he added. Marissa lay herself on the table cloth and put his hands on her abdomen.

"At first, my father disagrees. He wants me to be an accountant or marry a Spaniard but I argue and claim my freedom".

"Well, you're freedom is a gift which leads you to numerous opportunities"