CHAPTER 3

DECEMBER 28, 1896 - 5:18 PM

Liam rides Marissa home with his horse. He still feels unsure with Marissa joining their mission but he doesn't fight her because he knows he'll lose their argument. They sent their farewells again and Marissa went inside the house.

As she entered their home, the walls seemed quiet as always. No one is home but she heard murmuring in her parents room so she decided to go there. She saw her mother sitting on the floor while crying.

"Mother, are you fine? What's the matter?" Marissa quickly asks while trying to hold her mother by the shoulders. She saw a knife behind her mother and she tried to snatch it from her but she fought back. 

"Go away! Don't mind me!" Her mother shouted at her. Her face is so swell and red. Marissa had never seen her mother like this before.

"Mother calm down. Everything will be fine" Marissa said while fighting her mother's strong grip with the knife.

"No! No!" Her mother shouted but Marissa gently calms her grip with the knife so that her mother can imitate her.

"Mother, calm down. You don't have to do this" Marissa said while seeing her mother calm down.

As her mother loses grip with the knife. Marissa quickly snatches it and hides it from her mother's sight. She hugs her mother as both of them burst into tears. She pulled away from her and said,

"Mother, what's the matter?" Marissa said as she tried to whip her mother's tears.

"Let's go down. The kakanin is sweet and hot downstairs" her mother said as she tries to avoid Marissa's question.

"No, mother. You have to tell me what happen"

"It's not for you to know"

"Its for me to know because I'm your daughter"

"No Marissa! You'll not understand. You're too young to be exposed to that kind of matters."

"No, mother. I'm old enough to understand. Just don't mind me"

"Fine, you're such a stubborn child" her mother said as both of them sat by the edge of the bed and held hands together.

"You're father is having an affair," her mother said while looking at Marissa with surprise.

"How did you know that?"

"I know it since before you were born"

"But why did it last this long?" 

"For you and for your siblings. For you to have a better life and happy family"

"But mother, you don't have to be a martyr if you don't have to"

"I'll be because I love your father."

Marissa understands what's happening but she doesn't want her mother to be forced to be a martyr because of them. She stood up and said, "I'll talk to father" but her mother stopped her and said "Marissa don't! Your father will just get angry to me"

"I can't just sit speechless here watching my parents suffer without doing something"

"No, you don't have to. You'll just make it worse"

"Then, what can I do to help you?"

"None. Live as if I didn't tell you about our family issues"

"I'm sorry mother that you have to suffer like this. I promise that I'll never leave you until the end of time" they hugged at each other and her mother whispers "I love you, Marissa"