[49] AIR DUCTS

After returning, Robin had brought back the blueprints of Starcourt, setting them down onto the table. "Starcourt Mall. The complete blueprints."

"Not bad." Dustin commends. "So, this is us, Scoops, and this is where we want to get." Robin demonstrates. "I mean, I don't really see a way in." Steve comments.

"There's not, if you're talking exclusively about doors." Robin takes the blueprints, pulling them off to reveal another set beneath it. "Air ducts." Nori realizes.

"Exactly." Robin nods, making her way to the whiteboard to take a marker. "Turns out, this secret room needs air just like any old room. And these air ducts..." She trails off, drawing a circle from the secret room all the way down to Scoops.

"...lead all the way... here." She finishes, then looks up at their own air duct. "How are all of us gonna fit in there?" Steve asks.

"We only need one person. Then, they can open the door from the inside." Robin explains, and as soon as she does, both Steve and Dustin turn to look at Nori.

***

Steve unscrews the duct, peering inside. "Flashlight." He holds out his hand, Dustin handing it to him. "Thank you."

He turns it on, peering inside. "Yeah, I don't know. I don't know if you can fit in here. It's, like... super tight." Steve says hesitantly.

"Alright, well guess not." Nori smiles and begins to walk away, but Dustin catches her, not allowing her to leave. "Tiny will fit. We call her Tiny for a reason." Dustin says.

"Yeah, when I was actually tiny!" She shouts. "Just go already, Eleanor." Dustin lightly shoves her. Nori sighs, climbing the latter and slowly pushing herself inside. "This is way too cramped, Dustin." She states.

"Just go." He says. "Go!" He repeats, pushing her by her foot. "Dustin, get me out of here. Now I'm fucking stuck." She sighs in defeat.

"Move out of the way." Steve pushes through, pulling his sister out, then setting her on the ground.

"What now?" He asks, watching as the girl fixes her hair. "I'll try. No collar bones, remember?" Dustin suggests, taking the flashlight and climbing the latter as well.

"Uh, excuse me?" Robin questions. "Oh, he's, Uh... Yeah, he's got some disease—"

"It's not a disease, Steve." Nori cuts him off. "Oh, yeah? Then what is it?" He crosses his arms. "It's a— disability."

"Same thing." He shrugs. "It is most certainly not the same thing, dumbass." She fires back. "It is most certainly not the same thing." Steve repeats in a high pitched voice, mocking the girl.

"I don't sound like that." She denies. "Yes you do." He nods. "Can someone just explain to me why he has no collar bones, please?" Robin cuts in.

"It's a... disability." Nori begins, glaring at Steve, who rolls his eyes in return as he mutters a few words under his breath.

"Yeah, Uh, it's Chry, Uh.. it's Chrydo, um..." Steve stammers. "What this idiot is trying to say, is Cleidocranial dysplasia." Nori explains.

"He's missing bones and stuff. He can bend like Gumbo." Steve nods. "And Ellie, you call me an idiot one more time—"

"I think you mean Gumby." Nori cuts him off. "Idiot." She adds, Steve glaring at her. "I'm pretty sure it's Gumbo, idiot." He says the last word back in a high pitched voice.

"Steve, just shut up and push me!" Dustin yells, already somewhat inside the vent. "Okay." Steve sighs, sending a sarcastic smile towards Nori.

"I'll push ya." He says, grabbing his feet. "Not my feet, dumbass. Push my ass." Dustin says. "What?" Steve furrows his eyebrows.

"Touch my butt! I don't care!" He yells. Steve hesitantly brings his hands up, pushing lightly. "Come on! Harder! Push harder!" Dustin raises his voice. 

"I'm pushing!" Steve defends. "You're playing with my legs." Dustin complains. "I'm not playing, I have terrible footing." Steve argues. Nori and Robin share glance, shaking their heads.

"Come on!" Dustin screams. "I'm gonna just shove you, ready?" Steve asks. "Just shove me?" Dustin repeats. "One, two.." Steve pushes.

"Shit." Dustin curses. "That work?" Steve asks. "I don't think that worked, Steve." Nori comments.

Suddenly, you could hear the service bell ring, revealing Erica Sinclair at the counter. "Ahoy, sailors! All hands on deck! Ahoy!" She salutes.

"Who let her leave the house alone?" Nori rolls her eyes. "Maybe that's a good thing.." Robin realizes. "Get over here and serve me some samples." Erica rings again.

authors note

Sorry for the short chapter again, I'm writing another one right after so there should be another chapter in about half an hour or less maybe <3

Nori and Steve 🤝 arguing