Chapter Thirty-Six

*So, the start of a sex scene is in this chapter. 17+ read at your discretion. Also, I didn't want them to do that yet but...I must've been in the mood to make it happen. Sorry, not sorry, was feeling mischievous, y'all.*

**Read, Comment, Share and Vote if you like it!!**

July 3rd, 2021

2100 hours

Robyn stumbled as her foot twisted beneath her, clumsily catching herself on Zach's arm as they trudged across the dunes. Her veins were scorched with the unavoidable burn of one too many shots, a side effect which, coupled with the high of impairment, seemed to make her feel giddy, and everything unnecessarily humorous.

Naturally, she laughed at her own stupidity, Zach guffawing along with her at an actuality that was anything but amusing.

Her hysteria sent them both tumbling onto the sand. Robyn fell ungracefully onto her butt, feeling a warm, heavy weight land on top of her. It knocked the wind out of her and it took her a moment to realize the weighty object was Zach's body. His eyes met hers, poring headily into them as he cradled her head with his free arm, the other propped up to prevent his weight from crushing her.

The brief moment was extremely tense, until the sound of someone clearing their throat jerked them out of their drunken stupor.

Robyn bolted upright, hastily dusting the sand off her back and bottom. The sound, which originated from the porch of her beach house, issued from a figure half cloaked in darkness. The moonlight cast faint light on a portion of his chiseled face, and somehow, the liquid silver irises were clearly visible despite the dead of night.

"Isn't this a lovely sight." A clear, crisp voice floated over the beach. Robyn struggled to plod the last few meters to her house, a confused Zach trailing behind her.

"What are you doing here?" She hissed, barely heard over the rush of the ocean swells.

"Making sure you don't do anything untoward to this poor young man." Quinn's eyes flashed with an air of dominance, though to what portent, Robyn didn't understand.

Robyn seethed, her chest now heaving with effort to not yell at the infuriating detective. "Who are you to say what I can and cannot do?"

Quinn stood, towering over them, and sauntered across the porch, the wooden boards creaking under his weight. "The mere fact that you have had entire too much liquor this evening, coupled with your insatiable longing to lay with a man, renders you incapable of making sound decisions."

Robyn blinked, completely floored by his logic. The argument itself was astute, however; his superior attitude and lack of tact enraged her. How he could manage to sound so debonair while insulting everyone baffled her to no end. The phrase a wolf in sheep's clothing never more accurately described someone as it did Quinn Jones.

"You show up here uninvited so often that you might as well pay rent." She growled, crossing her arms.

"Is that an invitation for me to move in with you?" Quinn's lips twitched with amusement, his question causing her to burn unpleasantly with unwanted desire.

"Hell no." She spat, leaning forward to meet his smug gaze. "I'll repeat myself, because you seem to be not hearing me." Robyn narrowed her eyes, taking a step up the slightly angled stairs to gain the advantage of height. If it was a battle of the minds he wanted, so be it. "Who are you to tell me what to do?"

Quinn grasped her arm roughly, almost hurting her, and pulled her toward him. "Just the man who wants to lie with you." He practically growled, his stormy eyes darkening with lust.