Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

As pointless as that meeting had been there was no way that she could admit defeat. She would simply have to ask her parents about this.

She took out her orb and pressed in the runes that would access her father, Malachi.

As always, it took an incredibly long time to get him to answer.

"Hello, Laz- Oh, Myrcella. I did not expect to hear from you so soon. Are you settling in well?"

"Well actuall-"

"I'll admit I was hesitant to let you share a dorm, but your mother assured me that you're far more personable than Lazarus. And when I heard about the family of your roommate... I know you will do our family well and assure us of an alliance. Sirens are powerful allies."

So this wasn't carelessness on her parents' part. This was a mission where she was far more capable than Lazarus. She couldn't let them down.

"Of course, Father. I've already made contact. She is already ecstatic to meet me."

"That's good to hear. Do be cautious. Sirens can be incredibly manipulative and dangerous. I should be in contact with her family soon."

"Of course, Father."

That conversation went nowhere. Part of her suspected her mother must have rigged the roommate assigned to her. Sirens studied water magic or dolphin language courses. Myrcella was on the umbramancy track. They'd be useless to each other.

Her parents were never wrong, though. That meant that she had to take his words seriously. Still, Sephora hardly seemed manipulative, let alone dangerous.

Her classes hadn't begun, but she already knew this was going to be the most important year of her life. Her father trusted her to strengthen an alliance.

She headed back to her dorm room. She certainly hoped that she had a chance to catch her breath befo-

"Myrcie! You're back already!" ...those little arms attached themselves to her.

Myrcella looked down into those massive blue orbs and sighed as she pried Sephora off of her. "My name is Myrcella."

Lucretia chuckled, a bit nervously, and pulled Sephora closer to her. "Sephy is one for nicknames."

Myrcella looked at the two of them before walking towards her desk. "It would appear that this rooming arrangement is inescapable. So since we will be living together we shou-"

Sephora clapped and nodded. "Yes! You're absolutely right! Lulu and I were talking while you were gone." She walked closer and smiled. "Don't feel bad at all. Just because Lu and I can't be roomies, that doesn't mean we have to be sad at all! We should make the best of it and go for ice cream!"

Myrcella looked at her. "What I was going to say is that we should establish ground rules."

Sephora nodded, "Alright. Want to talk about 'em over ice cream?"

Myrcella shook her head, "No thank you, as long as we respect each other's personal space, we should be fine."

Lucretia took Sephora's hand. "Come on, Seph, Myrcella has work to do. We should go now if we want to miss the rush."

Sephora nodded and was rushed out the door before she could say anything else.

Sephora hummed softly the whole walk through the campus. Near the front entrance portal of the school, there were several small shops to give the students a variety. There was, of course, the student store, but nearby there was a small diner with an attached candy store that also sold ice cream and soda. It was a popular hangout spot for many of the younger students, but older students usually ventured out of the school's pocket dimension to mingle with mortals.