Chapter One: A Fair Trade

The Great Devouror, the Oni's mightiest destroyer, their final plot to defeat humanity and lay waste to the first realm, was dead. The serpentine had managed to survive.

They really were lucky, Skales recollected. Lucky and strong. Any other race would be wiped out by now, be it at the hand of their imprisonment underground for decades or their near miss with death when the Devouror had been unleashed. But the serpentine were not weak, unlike this pathetic, snivelling humans who had only survived because Garmadon had saved them.

Skales lip curled into a snarl. Garmadon was a fool. He'd saved humanity, killed the Devouror, and now, he wanted peace. Well, he wasn't about to get it. As long as Skales had his wife, he was going to get what he wanted from that idiot man.

"General Skales." Skales turned to see two guards standing in the entrance to his tent. "Garmadon had arrived."

"Good," Skales grinned, "this should be good."

The two guards returned his grin, their eyes flashing. Not one serpentine among them held any sympathy for Garmadon, or for his wife, Misako.

The camp was a buzz of activity as Skales strode through, the sea of busy snakes parting as he walked among them. Everyone was doing something- fixing weapons, treating wounds, building vehicles. They needed everyone at full strength and as many weapons as they could make if they wanted to have a chance to defeat the ninja.

Garmadon was waiting at the edge of the camp, flanked by two guards, crossing his arms and scowling. Skales wondered idly how much restraint it was taking to keep himself from attacking them. When he caught sight of Skales, he sneered, unfolding his arms and leering forwards.

"Whatever it is you want of me, you won't get it," he snarled, "I've made it my policy not to deal with slithering traitors like you."

"Hello, Garmadon," Skales replied cordially, "it's lovely to see you, too."

"Dismiss with the pleasantries, snake," Garmadon snapped, "why am I here?"

"There's no need to be rude," Skales laughed, "but since I am a businessman, I won't keep you in the dark any longer. I will be frank with you, Garmadon: I need your help."

"He finally admits it," Garmadon smirked. He looked to the heavens, feigning thought. "But as I recall... oh, I'd say... thirty seconds ago? I told you I don't deal with serpentine." He laughed, turning to walk away. "A good day to you, Skales."

"I would stick around if I were you," Skales said, causing Garmadon to pause. "You see, I figured you'd do this. You've always been difficult."

Garmadon smirked again, but this time it seemed much less cocky. "It runs in the family." He frowned. "So what have you done to sweeten the pot?"

"Sweeten?" Skales chuckled. "More like bitter- please bring out the prisoner."

Skales' two guards both hurried into the nearby tent, and from within, a slight scuffling could be heard. Then, the flap was opened and out came the two snakes, flanking a wriggling, furious woman, bound and gagged, fighting uselessly to escape their hold. Garmadon gasped at the sight, then his eyes went dark and he lifted his hands and aimed them towards Skales.

"Let her go," he growled, "or I'll kill every one of you."

"Kiss your wife goodbye, then," Skales laughed, waving a hand in her direction. At once the two guards raised their weapons and pressed the blades to her throat. Misako gave a muffled gasp, staring at the blades in terror. Garmadon flinched, his eyes darting back and forth between Skales and Misako. The temptation to attack him, to let his wife die but satisfy himself with vengeance was obvious, but so was the fact that he was fighting it. There was a long, tense pause. Then Garmadon slowly lowered his arms, still glaring at Skales.