Chapter Three: Tomorrow's Tea

Mystake was not expecting visitors, but customers, of course, were another matter entirely. When she saw the trade made by Garmadon and Skales-- she had been watching Skales for a long time, watching him struggle for power and authority, waiting for him to kick start fate-- she knew she was about to receive the ninja. So she readied herself, she brewed her tea, and she waited, standing behind the counter, smiling at the door until it swung open to admit the ninja.

"Welcome, welcome," she said cheerfully, unaffected by the dirty looks the ninja fixed her with, "what can I do for you?"

"I assume you've already seen the Grundle," Wu said, striding over to the counter and leaning across it to be inches from her face. Mystake smiled sweetly, placing a delicate hand over his and pushing him away.

"I have," she said, "and I know why you have come." She jerked her head in the direction of her backroom, laughing slightly at the looks of suspicion on some of the ninja's faces. "I have just the thing for your little Grundle problem."

"What is this 'little thing?'" Kai asked, narrowing his eyes. "And how do you know about all this?"

"I see things," Mystake replied, "I know things. And now, I am helping you. You should be grateful, fire ninja."

Kai scowled, but before he could offer a retort, Zane cut in. "If you are indeed helping us now," he said, "then why would you not help us with the Devouror?"

"Ha! Yes! Thank you, Zane!" Kai crowed. Mystake chuckled, sweeping a finger along her counter top nonchalantly.

"I did help," she replied, "who do you think sent Garmadon to you? Who do you think knew he would be able to save the day?"

There was an awkward pause, which Mystake seemed to relish, before she turned and swept towards the room, waving a hand in Wu's face as he came forwards to join her. "You stay here," she said sternly. It was strange to hear the light, airy tone sapped from her voice, and Wu obeyed her.

"This had better not happen every time we run into trouble," Kai grumbled, "this is the second time we've had to deal with her!"

"You're lucky," Wu told him, "we used to come here all the time. My father thought Mystake was the wisest, most helpful woman in the world... he trusted her with almost everything." He frowned. "Garmadon and I always listened to out mother; she never liked Mystake."

"That," Mystake said, emerging from the backroom holding a large teapot in both hands, "is because I saved her life, and she was too proud to be thankful." Wu opened his mouth to snap at her, but Mystake kept talking over him. "I have your tea here," she said proudly, "Tomorrow's Tea, to make you older."

"How is that going to help us?" Kai demanded, but again, Zane interrupted him.

"Brilliant," he said, "the tea will revert the Grundle to it's original form, sending it back in time to when it was nothing but a skeletal. It will effectively push the best forwards in time to kill it."

"I knew that," Kai grumbled. Nya patted him on the head mockingly.

"Wait," Lexi said, as Wu reached for the tea, "there's got to be a price, hasn't there?"

"Always the clever one," Mystake said, "you remind me of Caliah, you know. Very clever, very mouthy."

Lexi ignored the insult, narrowing her eyes and pursing her lips. "What's the price?"

"Is very simple, very easy," Mystake said lightly, "is nothing more than you... and your brother... drinking the tea as well."

"What?" Everyone chorused, at different decibels and with varying levels of horror and rage. Mystake laughed, shaking her head.