Chapter Nine: Across the Sea

"Why don't you say goodbye to your fans, Lloyd?"

Lloyd turned to his mother and sighed in exasperation. "I don't want to," he said wearily, "I can't understand how I got a sudden cult following overnight."

"They are not a cult," Misako scolded, gesturing to the small crowd of shrieking teenagers, "they're just fans. And you should be a good ninja and say goodbye."

Rolling his eyes dramatically, Lloyd slid off the barrel he was sitting on and dragged his feet over to the crowd. He was immediately emerged in the wailing, surging mass, as the teens begged for his autograph. Misako watched fondly, a smile on her lips. Her eyes glittered when she smiled. Like jewels, or scales.

"What about you, Lexi?" Misako asked suddenly, causing Lexi to jump. "Isn't there anyone you'd like to say goodbye to?"

Lexi had to physically bite her tongue to keep herself from snapping at her mother. The question was asked so innocently- she couldn't know how she felt. She couldn't be expected to understand that Lexi did not have any friends, or any family, to speak of. Lloyd and Fiona and perhaps Wu were the only ones that counted. She refused to acknowledge Garmadon as her father (she'd found that attaching herself emotionally to him could only result in heartbreak, time and time again).

"No," she said through gritted teeth, "there isn't anyone, Misa- Mum."

Misako chewed her lip, looking down at her feet. "I'm sorry," she said, "I- I should stop. I'm clearly making things worse."

Lexi frowned. "What are you talking about?"

Misako sighed, pushing her hair out of her face. Her eyes were shimmering with tears again. "I'm not stupid, Lexi. I know that my apology wasn't enough for you." She gazed at her daughter imploringly, her wide eyes begging for forgiveness that Lexi was unwilling to offer. "But can you blame a mother for wanting the love of her child?"

Lexi couldn't blame her, but she wanted to. She was sick and tired of putting up with emotional bullshit. She'd taken care of Fiona, she'd helped Lloyd and Cole and now she was supposed to let her own damn mother cry and whine while she pushed her own feelings aside?

"Yes," Lexi snapped, standing up and stomping below deck, "I can. I can and I will. I blame you for everything you've ever done, because you chose it all, and you never have a damn about me until now that I'm close enough to be a threat. I've lived my whole life without you, and quite frankly, it was better then."

Misako opened her mouth, maybe to cry, maybe to apologize, but Lexi didn't stick around long enough to find out which it was. She stormed down below, shoving her bedroom door open and slamming it closed behind her, relishing the way it rattled against the frame. Nya wasn't here, she was busy bidding Jay's parents a farewell, so Lexi had the room to herself. The whole ship was hers, really. Most of the ninja were out saying their goodbyes, even Cole. Dragons, Lexi hated the way she wished Cole was here. She hated the ache in her heart, the pounding in her ears, and the way she felt like she wanted him.

The room felt suddenly too small and too stuffy, and Lexi could not leave fast enough. She found herself above deck once more, allowing the cool sea breeze to waft through her hair and tickle her skin. She barely noticed when someone came up beside her, and she didn't stop them when they placed their own cold, marble-smooth hand over hers.

"I guess you wouldn't have anyone to say goodbye to," Lexi remarked, keeping her eyes on the waves. Zane laughed softly, shaking his head.