Chapter 4

o-O-o

When we were a safe distance away, I stopped and turned to him. "Sencen, I'm so, so, so sorry!"

"Nah, it's ok Foster, it didn't touch The Hair, and I was planning on ditching this uniform anyway."

"Foster?" I questioned, a little miffed.

"Sencen?" he mimicked back while grinning. He seemed a lot softer and more genuine away from the crowd and fans.

"My name is Sophie," I informed him with an eye roll, but a smile was slowly spreading across my face. "Nice to meet you Foster. I'm Lord Hunkyhair." He deadpanned.

I rolled my eyes again. "First of all, I already told you, my name is Sophie, and second of all-" He cut me off. "But Sophie is such a boring name! I'm calling you Foster from now on, and you can't stop me."

I doubt that I could do anything to him without his hoard of fans severing my head from my shoulders, but I kept that thought to myself. "And second of all," I continued, "Are you gonna actually tell me your name, or will I keep calling you Sencen?"

"No. Anything but that name," he replied hastily. I frowned. That was weird. Did he not like his last name or something?

"Anyway, my name is Keefe. Keefe Sencen." He looked at me oddly, almost as if I should know his name. Which was ridiculous. I've never heard of Keefe Sencen in my life. Keefe Sencen. I smiled. Maybe I would actually get to like him. In a friend way of course.

I hadn't noticed that we had been walking again, but sure enough, the white doors of the nurse's office loomed in front of us. I paled. I've hated doctors since I was little. Because of my frequent accidents, they were a part of my life, but I still hated them.

"Earth to Foster, Earth to Fossterrrr," Keefe said, waving his hand in front of my face. Whoops. I hadn't realized that I had zoned out. I blushed furiously. Why do I keep messing up in front of him? Not that I cared.

"You just went five shades paler and then got ten shades darker," Keefe observed. "I wonder why..."

"Nothing!" I squeaked out. If I told him that I was afraid of doctors I would never hear the end of it. "Surrrreee," Keefe said, but he let it go.

He changed the subject. "Elwin and Livvy aren't going to hurt you," Keefe said, rolling his eyes. "Come on!" He dragged me through the white doors.

The room was a combination of a big pharmacy-infirmary-laboratory. The walls were a bright sky blue, and the floor was polished marble in checkered shades of grey and black. A dozen white hospital beds were lined up against the far wall, several metal tables were placed haphazardly throughout the room, and along the walls were shelves stocked to the brim with supplies.

Through an opening in the left wall I could see what looked like an office, with a grey-haired man hunched over several papers on the desk. Keefe looked like he was about to call out to him, but suddenly, a young, dark-skinned woman popped out from behind one of the tables covered in pill bottles. She had blue-streaked brown hair that was in a million tiny little braids, and glittering lake blue eyes.

"Hi Keefe!" I jumped about a foot in the air in surprise. "Hey Livvy." Keefe answered with a grin.

"Whoops. Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I'm Livvy, the assistant nurse." Livvy said to me. She made her way toward me and Keefe and shook my hand. "So, what scheme did this guy," Livvy jerked her head in Keefe's direction. "Pull you into?"

"No, this one is all Foster's," Keefe said with a smirk. "She exploded the experiment in Chemistry and got some of it on her wrist."

"It's Sophie," I told Livvy exasperatedly. "My last name's Foster."

"You're cute when you get irritated," Keefe observed with a smile. My insides melted into goo. Did he just call me cute? It must be friendly teasing. He seemed like the kind of guy who did that. Just friendly teasing, I told my heart exasperatedly. Stop going into hummingbird mode!

"Oh, shut up for once, Keefe." Livvy said playfully, interrupting my thoughts. She grabbed my swollen wrist and looked at it closely. "Looks inflamed..." she muttered, twisting my wrist upside down to see the other half. "Elwin!" she called. "Your most frequent patient is here! And he brought a friend." Livvy wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. I blushed. Surprisingly, Keefe blushed slightly too. Me and Keefe weren't like that. I had just met him a half hour ago!

The gray-haired man I had seen earlier walked into the room. "Keefe, I told you, stop involving Fitz in your-". He stared at me. "You're not Fitz." he mumbled stupidly. "She's not. This is Foster." Keefe jumped in. "She's here because of the Great Foster Explosion!"

"We are not calling it that." I interrupted. "Hi." I said awkwardly to the man, who must be Elwin. "I'm Sophie." Elwin snapped out of his stupor and walked over to me. He shook my hand enthusiastically. "Hi Sophie! I'm Elwin, the head doctor here at Foxfire. Welcome to the Heart of Foxfire-"

"It's actually in the middle of Foxfire. We're not joking." Livvy interrupted.

Anyway, let's see that wrist, shall we?" Elwin continued. Livvy handed my wrist over to him and then grinned at me and Keefe. "So Keefe, when did you meet her?"

I blushed again. "She's my lab partner and fellow partner in explosions." Keefe said, hooking his arm through my free one and flashing Livvy a smile. I blushed even deeper.

"Livvy, I think you're making Sophie uncomfortable," Elwin chortled. "Why don't you grab me some gauze and the inflammatory cream."

"Yes sir!" Livvy exclaimed, snapping him a salute. Elwin sighed, but his hazel eyes twinkled under his huge round glasses. "Keefe, I think you're rubbing off all of us."

"I know! Isn't it amazing! Soon you'll all be mini Keefes and my army will be complete!" Keefe cackled dramatically. "Ha-ha," Livvy said, handing Elwin the gauze and cream. He began to smear the pink cream over my wrist. "So Sophie, are you gonna become a regular? Or was this explosion a one-time thing?"

"With Foster? Nah, never," Keefe said. And unfortunately, I had to agree with him.

o-O-o