Chapter 17

"Heyyy, Mom. Dad. How's it going? Are you feeding Silveny and Iggy enough? Sorry I haven't called in like, two months? Um, I love you?"

Sophie flopped onto her bed and groaned. "It's hopeless, Marella! They're gonna murder me. You know Grady has a bat? Actually. And of course, he'll assume I haven't called them because of a boy for some reason, and-"

Marella sat on the other side of the bed. "Well, is he wrong? I mean-"

Sophie's insides spun. "Not the time, Mare."

"Don't you dare call me Mare, Soph."

"Shut u-"

Linh's voice floated through the bedroom doors. "Hi Mr and Mrs Ruewen! I'm so glad you called! Sophie has been trying to call you guys for months, but, well, her phone's been lost and we only just got the idea to use my phone! Oh, of course I can put her on the phone. She's right here."

Marella and Sophie stared at each other in panic. "What's she doing?" Sophie whispered frantically. She could feel her hand reaching up to tug an eyelash. "The real question is, is Linh LYING?" Marella hissed at her. "I don't know! Do you?"

"It sounds like it?"

Linh walked through the doors of the sparkly bedroom. "Why yes, thank you Mr. Ruewen! ...school can be challenging at some times, but the education here is exemplary! ...have you seen the campus? It's gorgeous. And the dorms are huge!" Sweat beaded at the corners of her temples. "...Sophie, you say? Well- uh- here's Sophie right now!"

Linh shoved the phone into Sophie's hand. 'Never make me do that again' she mouthed. Marella facepalmed. "You- agh- forget it." She sank against the pillows.

"Sophie, are you there? Honey?" Sophie licked her lips nervously. "Uh, hi Mom. Hi Dad. Uh...what's up?"

"Eda, please give me the phone. Thanks." A pause. "Sophie Elizabeth Foster you haven't called us in two months. WHAT is going on?"

"Dad, I-"

"Grady- Eda- no, you are not fighting with our daughter on the first phone call in two months, Grady, give me the phone." Movement on the other line. "Sophie, sweetheart, how have you been? We've missed you so much!"

Sophie felt tears welling up in the corners of her eyes. "I've missed you guys too."

"How's school been going? Are you happy to be with your friends again?"

"Yeah, Mom, it's been awesome. Though I think they should just ban me from the science rooms..."

Laughter. "Have you made any new friends?"

"Yeah...there's this boy, Keefe...we've gotten really close over the past couple of months and-"

"Really? That's wonderful, Sophie! He sounds like a nice boy already." Sophie could imagine her mom smiling knowingly. She blushed. "I haven't even told you anything about him! And he's just a friend, Mom."

"Whatever you say, sweetie."

Sophie groaned. "Mom-"

"A boy? What? Eda, hand me the phone, it's a boy." Sophie could hear Edaline sigh in defeat. "Sorry, honey. I'm giving the phone to Dad now, okay? I love you."

"Love you too." Sophie whispered.

Shuffling on the line. "Sophie?"

"Hey, Dad."