Chapter 9

"This is a bad idea," I said to Keefe, following him through the empty halls. I tried not to fidget as he glanced around furtively before pulling me down another corridor. "Shouldn't we come back here at night?"

"Nah, the best time now," he grinned, looking so adorably excited that I almost felt like this wasn't a mistake. Almost.

If the principal found out...

"Relax, I've done this a hundred times before," Keefe promised. "And it's worth it, I swear."

"I'm holding you to that oath." I muttered under my breath. Keefe snapped his fingers an inch from my face. "Snap out of that funk! This is supposed to be fun, Foster. Just relax and enjoy the calming sound of the rules breaking into pieces."

I jerked my head up. "Um, what?"

"You heard me!" He started to walk faster. "And the treats will help your head. And your wrist."

I fiddled with the straps of my brace, ripping them on and off with a satisfying Shhhrk! "How on earth is a pile of candy going to help my injuries?"

Keefe shrugged and tugged me around the bend. "How should I know? You're the expert!"

"Wait, what?"

"You heard me. A magician never tells his secrets!"

"You're ridiculous."

"I know, right?"

"Wait, what are we even arguing about?"

"Walruses."

I threw up my hand in exasperation. "Stop confusing me!"

"You're the one confusing me!"

I hissed in frustration and stomped down another corridor. "You- just- ugh- agh! You're so annoying!"

"You mean annoyingly handsome! And wrong way, Foster!"

I turned around and stalked down the opposite hallway.

"Also the wrong way!"

I turned around and glared at Keefe, who was lounging against the wall of a third corridor. "Ooo nice death glare! Though if I were you, I'd narrow your eyes a bit more and part your lips slightly. A little goes a long way!" He winked.

I peered at my reflection in one of the glass benches, trying to do as he suggested. Ugh. Stupid boy with his stupid powers of persuasion. Part the lips, narrow the eyes...All of a sudden, my glare turned a hundred times darker.

"You see? Now you're Little Miss Negativity!" I jumped in surprise and whirled around to see Keefe standing a foot behind me, his arms crossed and one eyebrow raised at me.

"Gods, Keefe, stop sneaking up on me! How on earth do you even do that?" It was so weird how he seemed to be everywhere at once. I could have sworn that he had been leaning against the wall across the atrium two seconds ago...

"Gods?"

I blushed but held his puzzled gaze. "Percy Jackson reference?"

"What's Percy Jackson?"

I gaped at him for a good ten seconds.

Then, I clasped my free hand onto his shoulder, and started shaking one side of him furiously. "HOWDOYOUNOTKNOWABOUTPERCYJACKSON!!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, calm down, Miss Dramatic!" Keefe held up his hands in front of his face to ward off my rage. He looked halfway between amused and terrified. "What's the big deal?"