A Step Towards Health

As soon as Ellis and Australian Man pulled into the parking lot of the ER, Australian Man shook Florida Man's shoulder.

"Wake up, dear. We're at the hospital." Australian Man says gently, wiping a bead of sweat from Florida Man's forehead.

Florida Man nods, sitting up. He grimaced, rubbing his temples. He trembled, his legs feeling like jelly.

"Can you support yourself, Florida?" Ellis asked, noticing his tremble.

Florida Man shook his head in response, whispering "Aussie-" Coughing racks his body as he struggled to stand. He shivered, wrapping his arms around himself. He feels weight lifted off his legs as Australian Man supported him.

"You'll be alright, dear. Walk with me." Australian Man says, holding Florida Man steady. The three of them walked to the waiting room slowly, occasionally waiting for Florida Man to regain balance.

They finally made it in, sitting down in the waiting room. Ellis and Australian Man sat on each side of Florida Man. Florida Man started to fall back asleep. The Floridian trembled, curling further into Australian Man. Australian Man says takes his hand through Florida Man's sweaty locks.

There was practically nobody in the ER, save for a few people. A nurse comes out, clip board out.

"Next?" The nurse says. An older woman with an injury to her arm got up. The cut looked to be infected. The nurse and older woman went in to the room.

As time went by, Florida Man got paler, coughing once in a while. Australian Man worried senslisly. Time went by agonizingly slow. Another fifteen minutes go by and the nurse comes out again.

"Next?" The nurse said.

"You guys can go next," A young man, who looks to be around twenty said, "I'm here because my mother is in the other examination room."

"Alright then, thank you sir." Ellis said, smiling at the man.

Florida Man awakened again in Australian Man's arms. He shivered, pain running through his body. He coughed, throat burning worse each time. Tears fell down his face as he shook weakly.

They sat in the examination room, the doctor checking Florida Man's vitals.

"His fever is at around 104 degrees and his symptoms seem to be of Transmittable Rodent Disease. He will be brought in after I ask you a few questions." The doctor said.

"Go ahead" Australian Man says.

"Did he feed any rats, or was around someone who got sick after feeding rats?" The doctor inquired.

"Yeah, he was around one of our roommates who ended up dying suddenly in the night before we took Florida Man here. Grim told us to take Flori to the ER." Australian Man said.

"Ah, I see. I think it would be best if he stays over night. That way we can monitor him. He seems to be in stage one still, because his bladder hasn't failed yet." The doctor says. The doctor gets out a wheelchair, gesturing for Australian Man to put Florida Man into it. Florida Man is then wheeled to room, Australian Man following behind. He is then placed on the hospital bed.

The Doctor, who's nametag read Dr. Hernandez paged a nurse. A moment later, the nurse walked in.

"Is the D.E.R.M.I.S available?" Dr. Hernandez asked.

"Yes, it is. Is it another case of TRD?" The nurse replied.

"Yes. We need to get him to the D.E.R.M.I.S before he reaches stage two to have the highest chance of survival." Dr. Hernandez says urgently, a look of determination crossing his features.

"Of course, Doctor." The nurse said, walking out of the room to get ready to prepare the D.E.R.M.I.S.

"Dr. Hernandez, what's the D.E.R.M.I.S?" Ellis says with a curious gleam in her eyes.

"The D.E.R.M.I.S stands for the Disease Elimination, Recovery Moderation Interconnected Software. It's a protocol as much as it is a technology. It is used to treat diseases that usually end in death. It has been scientifically proven that it increases survival up to ninety nine percent if caught early." Dr. Hernandez explains.

"I'm assuming it is safe then?" Australian Man says.

"Correct." Doctor Hernandez affirms. Her pager beeps wildly as a code blue is called over the PA system. "Monitor him while I'm gone!" She says, walking to her coding patient in the next room.

Immediately Australian Man's focus shifts to Florida Man. Florida Man shivered horribly. He was unconscious but responsive. Australian Man raked his hands through Florida Man's hair, calming him down.

Florida Man opened his eyes, wincing as he rubbed his temples. "Aussie...'m feeling like total shit." He whispered, rubbing his throat. He took in his surroundings as he remembered he was in the hospital. His face went paler than it already was. He trembled in fear, curling into himself. He whimpered quietly, his body shaking with terrified sobs.

"Oh honey, it gonna be okay." Ellis says in a comforting tone.

Australian Man wrapped his arms around the Floridian and whispered "It's okay, love...It's okay."

Florida Man curled further into Australian Man's arms, shaking with silent cries. Fear made its way through his veins making his breaths come at a faster rate.

In response, Australian Man played with his hair and said "Love, you need to breath."

Florida Man takes a shaky deep breath. He coughs, making the pain in his throat worse. Australian Man rubs his back, waiting for the coughing to stop. Eventually the coughing stops and Florida Man's breaths even out. Florida Man falls into a fitful slumber.

"I love you, Flori. Sleep tight." Australian Man says, kissing Florida Man's forehead.

Around an hour later, Dr. Hernandez and the nurse come in.

"We are going to transfer him to the D.E.R.M.I.S. We should be done in an hour." Dr. Hernandez says, as she and the nurse transfer Florida Man into the wheel chair.

"Florida Man is very afraid of the hospital." Australian Man says.

"We will keep that in mind." The nurse said as he looked to Dr. Hernandez for instruction. With that, Florida Man is wheeled to the D.E.R.M.I.S.