6. Struggles

Leo

"You have got to be kidding me." 

I looked up from my position on the floor to see Malcolm standing at the entrance to the training arena. 

"What's wrong?" I asked, but immediately regretted it as the son of Athena glared at me.

"WHAT'S WRONG? THAT'S WHAT WRONG!" Malcolm jabbed a finger at the massive hole in the wall. 

I winced and rubbed at the back of my neck. "Oh yeah, that. Sorry. I tried to figure out how to use Aether and Hemera's powers properly and it didn't really work." 

Malcolm's eye twitched before he sighed and placed his hand against his forehead. "Okay. It's fine. You're going to need to work a lot harder in these next six days." 

I laughed as I got to my feet. "You think? This is the only thing I know how to do." I stretched my hand out and a ball of light appeared in my palm. 

Malcolm stared at it and said "What are you going to do with that? Throw it at Perseus? I can already imagine him laughing at you when you try to do that." 

"Shut up." I grumbled as I clenched my fist to extinguish the ball of light. 

Malcolm smiled and patted me on the shoulder. "You can do it, Leo. I believe in you. Just try not to blast another hole in the wall." 

I rolled my eyes and said "Whatever. This isn't easy, you know?" 

Malcolm lifted his hand off of my shoulder and turned to leave the training arena. "I know it isn't. But I'm not the one who's been blessed by the Primordials. You're our last hope." 

I gritted my teeth and said "I know that! But how can I be everyone's last hope if I can't even use the new powers I have?" 

Malcolm reached out and grabbed me by the arm, pulling me out of the training arena. He dragged me over to the table and pushed me into a chair. 

"Listen up." He said as he took a seat on top of the table. "You whining and complaining about how you aren't able to use your new powers isn't going to help us." 

I frowned and opened my mouth to say something, but Malcolm put his hand up to silence me. 

"Instead of throwing a hissy fit, you need to focus. You can learn how to use your new powers by the end of this week if you put your mind to it. So do me a favour and stop complaining, because that isn't going to work." 

I stared at him in disbelief as Malcolm crossed his arms across his chest. "I'm not trying to be mean, but I'm sure you know we don't have much time." 

I shook my head and said "You're right. I've been a massive pain in the ass, haven't I?" 

Malcolm smirked and slid off the table to stand next to my chair. "You have. But at least you know that." 

I rolled my eyes before the door to the hideout suddenly swung open. Malcolm and I turned to see Katie Gardner enter the room with a frown on her face. 

She spotted Malcolm first and cried "We have a problem! I-" She stopped as her gaze landed on me, and I struggled to keep my laughter at bay as her eyes widened. 

"Leo?" She whispered, and I grinned at her. "The one and only flaming bad boy."

"How are you here? We all thought you died!" Katie exclaimed. I sighed and said "It's a long story, I'll tell you later. What's the problem?" 

The Daughter of Demeter hesitated before she stepped aside. Standing slightly behind her was a teen with pale skin and platinum blonde hair. He had ice blue eyes, and a scowl was plastered on his face.