Chapter. 8

Night 2:

Life Count: 68

Ashoka Tano:

"Rex!"

Ashoka saw the silver blade buried in Rex's back as she ran over to him as his body hit the floor with a thud. She slid over the slick ground, landing next to him and laying his head in her lap as he coughed, a trickle of blood coming from the corner of his mouth.

"Rex, Rexie hang in there." Ashoka murmured as she ripped off a piece of her shirt and started to tie it around his wound. "Don't die, Rexie please don't die."

She kept on talking to him as she wrapped the fabric around his back her heart hurting every time he flinched in pain. His amber eyes were open and glassy but fixed on her face as her own eye filled with a misting of tears.

"Rexie, stay awake." Ashoka wiped her tears off her face with the back of her hand. "Rexie, look at me."

She put a hand on his chest, the only thing keeping her from breaking down was his faint heartbeat. Ashoka grabbed the knife handle with her free hand and intertwined her fingers with Rex's cold hand. She gritted her teeth, then pulled the blade out of his back. Rex's eyes snapped wide open and the cry of pure agony that he gave broke Ashoka's heart in half as she quickly bandage the wound to staunch the bleeding.

"Ash-Ahsoka?" Rex murmured and Ashoka's body lit up at the sound of his voice. "Is that you?"

"Rexie... yes, it's me." Ashoka buried her face in his chest, feeling his heartbeat still fait echoing in her ears. "I won't let you die."

"Ashoka." Rex gently cupped her face in his hands, his eyes dim, but serious. "You aren't willing to let go of me. Why? You know that I have to die, so why are you fighting so hard to keep me alive."

Rex's eyelids fluttered and he closed them, his whole face relaxing as he fell asleep.

"It's because..." Ashoka whispered to Rex's sleeping form as she felt her eyelids growing heavy. "It's because I love you, Rex."

~

Day 3:

Life Count: 50

Rex:

He should be dead.

He was stabbed in the back and almost bled to death walking all the way back to his cave where he could get one last look at Ashoka. So how was he still alive? He felt a warmth on one side of his body and turned his head slightly to see Ashoka curled into his side, her breath coming in cute huffy snorts. He gave a grunt of pain as he turned his head to look around him, and his back felt like it was on fire. He tried to twist around to see what was causing him so much agony, but the pain in his back exploded and he lost consciousness.

~

All he could hear was singing.

Someone above him was singing in a different language, a clear melody that lilted on the cool wind coming from the entrance to their cave. He didn't think whoever was singing knew that he was listening, so he kept his eyes shut and pretended to be asleep. He could understand some of it, something like solders going off to war, and only some of them make it back.

"Rex," the singing stopped and Ashoka's voice replaced it. "I know your awake."

"Ashoka?" Rex opened his eyes and saw the blue and white lekki dangling over his face as she changed his bandages. It hurt to talk. "I should be dead."

"Well, your alive now, and I plan to keep you that way." Ashoka finished tying his bandages and leaned back. "So, try not to die."

"Well," he hissed in pain and coughed, a little droplet of blood trickled down his chin. "That's pretty much inevitable now."

"Rex, don't talk like that." Ashoka took his hand in hers and bit her bottom lip, her hand shaking. "You won't die. I won't allow it."

"Ashoka, you know that I'm going to die. Why can't you accept it!" Rex's voice rose along with the pain in his back as he grabbed her wrist. "Aren't jedi taught to let go, to have no attachments or passion. Why can't you let me go?"

"Rex. Can't you see?" Ashoka responded with as much anger and passion in her voice as he did. "I can't let you go because... because I love you Rex! And because of that, I can't watch you die."

Rex just froze, his mouth half open, then his eyes glazed over and he fell back, his hand going limp in hers and his chest ceased to rise and fall.

He was dead.

Words faded from his lips, but Ashoka still caught them.

"I've loved you always. I always will."

Ashoka broke down as she buried her face in his chest where, only seconds ago there had been a heartbeat, now there was nothing. She sobbed into his lifeless body, trying to hold onto the little warmth that was already fading.

If only there was a way to cheat death. Well, a way that she could do at least. The only thing she knew of was dangerous and risky, and most fell to the Dark Side or died. The only people who actually tried to accomplish it were the truly despite, but she guessed she fell in that category now.

"Rexie," she murmured, her voice breaking as she placed her hand on his lifeless chest. "Come back to me, Rexie."

She closed her eyes and felt the force flow through her as she let the force pass from her to him, igniting his life spark again. She felt her energy draining quickly and she looked back at her life-force. It was fading, it's golden glow draining as she felt the wound on Rex's back start to close. She felt a momentary surge of panic, then took a deep breath, and tried something no jedi would ever do.

But was she really a jedi anymore?

She pulled her energy from her fear, her passion and her anger, fueling her power, felling the energy flow through her and into Rex. She opened her eyes and wiped away a sheen of sweat that had covered her forehead as she looked down at Rex. Her heart jumped as his muscular chest rose and fell underneath her hand. His amber eyes opened wide, then caught sight of hers and a smile crossed his face.

"Ashoka."