Chapter. 18

The Last Day:

Ashoka Tano:

What had her master become?

A thing of evil?

She could see his red lightsaber casting a shadow on his orange eyes, making his face turn a blood like crimson. She felt a stab of fear as she saw his anger that was focused, not on her, but on the man standing beside her, holding her hand.

"He's not after me." Ashoka whispered and Rex looked at her, knowing what she was about to say. "He wants to kill you."

"Then that's what I'll give him." Rex looked at the chasm, then at Ashoka. "We'll jump on three."

"You trust me that much?" Ashoka questioned as she wrapped her arms around his neck and he slid his arms around her waist.

"I trust you with my life, Ashoka." Rex looked into Ashoka's eyes and all she saw was sincerity and passion.

Ashoka nodded at him, then they jumped across the chasm, hanging in midair for a split second before their feet landed on solid earth.

"I knew that would work." Rex turned and grinned at Ashoka as she gently unwound her hands from his neck.

"Of course you didn't." Ashoka smiled at him and drew her lightsabers, igniting them with a flourish. "And here comes Anakin."

~

The Last Day:

Rex:

Anakin was coming for him.

It was terrifying.

Rex could see just his silhouette against the sun as Anakin launched himself across the feet of open earth that separated them. He landed in front of Rex and Ashoka, his mouth twisted into a snarl of fury, his orange eyes boring into Rex's amber orbs, and the clone stared fearlessly back.

"Anakin..." Ashoka whispered, and Anakin's head whipped around and Ashoka shrunk under his gaze, her hand unconsciously going to her neck. "Come back..."

"Ashoka, he's gone." Rex pressed her closer to her body as Anakin stepped a bit closer.

"You." Even his voice was different, like all emotion had been seeped out of it as Anakin turned and spoke to Rex. "You turned her against me!"

Rex shielded Ashoka with his arm as Anakin ignited his red blade and Ashoka in turn lit the barren landscape with a green and yellow glow.

"You did that yourself." Rex aimed his blasters at Anakin as the fallen jedi took another step towards them.

"You manipulated her!" Anakin yelled. "I hate you!"

"So, then." Rex gave a smirk that made the angry crease in Anakin's eyebrows deepen. "You're going to kill me now?"

"How did you guess..." Anakin snarled, then leaped at Rex.

Anakin's first strike sailed over the clone's head and Rex ducked, swinging his leg to kick Anakin. But his old general was ready for this move, grabbing Rex's foot and throwing him over his shoulder and on to the ground. Rex gave a groan of pain as Anakin kicked him in the stomach and the jedi-turned-sith raised his red lightsaber above his head, preparing to end the clone.

"No!" Ashoka ran at Anakin, turning her attack into a leap as she reached him.

She slammed her foot into his temple, one of her lightsabers blocking the strike meant for Rex, the other slicing a burning gouge in the left side of Anakin's face. He screamed in pain and shoved her off him using the force to push her back as she was thrown into the air. She skidded on the rough ground for a few feet before scrambling at the edge of the chasm, her hands trying to find a grip of the sliding rock. Ashoka lost her grip and Rex gave a yell of horror as Ashoka's wide eyes met his own, and her fingers slipped and she fell.

"Ashoka!" Rex scrambled to his feet but Anakin held out his hand and Rex froze, held in place by the force as Anakin paced up to him.

"You are going to pay!" Anakin growled as the clone just stared defiantly back at him. "For what you have done!"

"I've done nothing." Rex snarled as Anakin delicately put his red lightsaber at Rex's neck. "You almost killed her, and now you actually have killed her. I'll kill you."

"Bold words." Anakin pressed his lightsaber in the same spot he had cut Ashoka days before, and Rex's skin burned as the clone forced down a gasp of pain. "Yes, she's dead, and all I have standing in the way of me and my freedom... is you."

Anakin pulled his lightsaber back and Rex just glared at him as the jedi-turned-sith drove the lightsaber into Rex's shoulder. He cried out in pain as he could feel his skin burning and his veins felt like they were on fire.

"I am going to kill you, but first," Anakin's orange eyes got a maniacal tint to them. "I'll make you suffer."

'Well isn't that nice.' Rex thought ruefully. 'I think I've had enough suffering and pain to last a lifetime, or ten lifetimes for that matter.'

Anakin retracted his lightsaber and Rex felt the force holding his body still fade and he crumpled to the dusty ground. Anakin turned and kicked him in the jaw, and Rex heard a crack as blood trickled out of his mouth and onto his hand. The orange eyed sith above him blocked out all the light of the sun, leaving just Anakin's dark silhouette above him and the red lightsaber gleaming an evil crimson. Anakin raised his hand and Rex felt himself being lifted up, the air around his neck becoming tighter as he was force-choked.

"Any last words?" Anakin leaned over and hissed into Rex's ear.

"Like I'd have anything to say to you, Tatooine rat." Rex saw Anakin's eyes widen and knew he'd hit his mark.

"Well than." Anakin snarled and backhanded Rex across the face, making even more blood spill onto the clone's chin. "Say hello to Ashoka for me..."

Anakin drew back his lightsaber and all Rex could see was the red saber that was about to kill him. He didn't feel anything, and a pair of round blue eyes and a laugh that could make anyone smile was all that was in his mind. All he wanted to do was see her again.

Rex closed his eyes and waited for the end.