sixteen - friends?

1st POV

Cold breeze hit my face as I stood in front of the abandoned village.

Legend has it that 2000 years ago, a comet hit the mountain and destroyed the forest. The hole was later filled with water from the ocean, making a lake with a beautiful sight.

When we were kids, we played around it, but there was one place that we were specifically forbidden to go to. The crystal cave.

Zuko stood next to me in awe, glancing at me from time to time. He then tapped my shoulder, signaling me to go.

We walked down the steep path that leads to small, burnt down houses.

''This place is stunning. I can't even imagine how beautiful it used to be'', Zuko whispered, mumbling something to himself later.

''But not as beautiful as you.''

''What was that?''

Zuko turned to face me and cracked a smile: ''Nothing.''

I shrugged it off and grinned, walking through the dry bushes.

My foot was met with a metal structure, making me wince in pain.

Zuko took a better glance, picking the item up. His fingers carresed the surface, dusting it off and making it's features much, much more visible.

A sudden realization hit us as the red emblem showed up. Zuko dropped the fire nation helmet in disgust, looking down to the ashes we were standing in.

''I think we should go this way'', I exclaimed, pointing towards the centre of the empty village.

Zuko quietly agreed and followed my lead. I could notice the despise and sadness on his face as he shifted his gaze to the ground.

''Hey...it's not your fault, it was years ago, you don't have to worry about it'', I forced a grin, reassuring him that it's fine.

He shrugged and we were back in the awkward silence. The only thing that could be heard was wind moving bushes in god knows what direction.

We were finally at the center of the village, near the shore, where my house used to be.

I sighed, and opened the door of the modest home. I was met with burnt curtains, destroyed furniture, torn apart clothes and...bones.

My knees were trembling when the sight in front of me got clearer, and I fell down to the floor.

The skeleton in front of me belonged to my father, who fought against his own nation in order to protect the village. He fought against fire, with fire.

I remember the necklace he had on all the time, and checked if it was there.

The emblem stayed untouched, and I picked it up to put it around my neck.

I was looking for other skeletons that were supposed to be my grandma's and brother's, but I could never possibly find them.

The only one in the house was dad's.

...

''Dad! Let's go! Please!'', I pleaded as the smell of burning wood filled the air.

No response.

''Y/N! Come on! Grandpa is waiting for us!''

I looked back to dad, who had a bright smile, looking straight into my eyes.

My feet moved on their own as I ran further from the scene, towards my grandparents and brother, Tenli.

I was on my grandpa's back, while my brother and grandma were a bit behind.