C H A P T E R 5

𝟱

𝟱

"Miss Petrovna. There is a man here, asking for you." Ana was interrupted from her reading by the young maid who had appeared by the door.

In the few days since she had last spoken to her family, Ana had taken to spending time in the large library in their house. It was the only room out of many that she knew they would never willingly venture to, and that made it a perfect place to hide from their nagging accusations and patronising stares.

"For me?" She asked, pivoting her head to get a glimpse of the front entrance, but it had been closed once again.

Anastasiya never had visitors. Neither did her family, unless it was the priest or more recently Thomas Shelby.

"What does he look like?"

"Handsome, ma'am, if I may say so. Blonde with blue eyes. From Birmingham." Maria blushed.

She was a new employee in their house, a one that hadn't been tainted by Ana's Aunt and Uncle's obvious dislike for her and was the kindest person that she had encountered since her travel all the way from Russia. Ana was thankful for her arrival in the house, even if she was there to work.

"I will see to it, thank you Maria." Ana called.

She waited a moment for the maid to disappear back to Mrs Barker before she rushed toward the door, waiting on the inside of it. Ana knew who it was, of course. It was John Shelby, the man she had met the other. She imagined he still hurt from the hard hit she had given him, just as she still had a reminder of his touch, in the form of a tiny bruise around her neck.

Ana smirked as she pulled the door open, glancing out toward him with a raised look. She hadn't expected to see him so soon, and she definitely hadn't expected to see him standing at her door. But she knew why he was here, it was as obvious as day.

"John Shelby, how lovely." She drawled teasingly and John nodded, his hands casually in his pockets.

"I came with a message." He said, and she raised a brow.

"For me or my family?" Ana asked.

"Both."

She paused for a moment before turning her head toward the house, motioning for him to step in after her, saying, "They will be here in a minute."

John followed her into the house and toward the library, waiting as she asked the housekeeper to fetch her Aunt, Uncle and sister. They sat down opposite each other on long, ugly chairs, separated by a coffee table which was small enough to be used as a glass footstool.

"No offer for a drink?" He asked and she tutted slightly.

"I don't know you, John. I wouldn't know what to offer."

"I thought we agreed that we weren't strangers?" He said.

John was leaning forward, his elbows resting on his knees as he stared at her. The look that he gave her unsettled her. Ana felt as if he was looking straight through her, barely blinking.

"That doesn't make us friends." She said, her nose turning, internally willing him to look away.

"I don't see why not." He said, and Ana let a small laugh slide passed her lips.

"What do you drink?" She gave in, finally turning back to look at him, noticing that he had still been watching her as she spoke.

"Whiskey. Though I'd have tea, if you prefer it."

He was teasing her- she could tell by the cheeky grin swiped on his lips. She didn't like it. Ana sent a small glare his way as she reached for the decanter on the side table, pouring them both a drink.

"Don't pretend that you don't know why I'm here." John said as he watched her hand over the drink, her long fingers snaking over the glass easily.

"I thought you were the stupid brother?" She taunted, knowing that it would strike a nerve.

"I don't have to be clever to know that you're smart." He said back, surprising her a little.

"I want to hear it from you. Why are you here?" She asked.

He sighed. "Tommy doesn't trust anyone of yous."

"Well, you can tell your brother that it's pointless. I know as little as you do." She said, leaning back in her chair, her ankles crossing below. "I have nothing to tell."

"All I know is that there's something off about that priest. And I want to know what." Anastasiya finished. "What's your real reason for seeing me? There is more than one."

Ana couldn't ignore the fact that he was there, at her home in person, to simply hand deliver an invitation. A brother of Tommy Shelby would never do such thing, and yet, here he was.

"Why do I need a reason to see you?"

"You don't know me." Her eyes cast a dark glance upon his cheeky smile. He was joking with her too much.

"I think I know more than you want me to." He said, making her steady gaze falter.

"You're bluffing." She said.

"Am I?"

Before either Ana or John could say another word, they were interrupted by the door opening at the other side of the room. Her sister entered first, glancing toward Ana with an intrigued look, before her aunt and uncle followed quickly behind. They all sat around the small table, looking expectantly between the two.

"Mr Shelby?" Tatiana began after a moment of quietness, realising that no one would speak. "To what do we owe the pleasure?"

"I have an invitation." John said, tipping his head forward lightly. "To a formal evening party, hosted two weeks on Saturday. By Grace Shelby."

"We are honoured by Mr and Mrs Shelby's invitation. We will be there." Her aunt replied.

Ana nodded along absentmindedly to what her family were saying. But she couldn't help but take note of the fact that his eyes had never left hers and she didn't look away either.

𓆙