C H A P T E R 20

20

20

The whole house was tense, as if the inhabitants were standing on a line hands on the backs of someone to the side, waiting to push or be pushed. For Ana, it was her mother on one side and Tatiana on the other, as it always had been.

Twisted every way.

The tension that wrapped around them made her head fuzzy. She could help her mother, as she had already agreed to do, but would be betraying her sister in doing so. And though Tatiana knew nothing of their plan- she couldn't surely- Ana couldn't help but feel guilty. She could physically feel the glared that were aimed her way, cutting into her skin and attempting to pick through her brain. But Anastasiya was used to an intruding family and suspicious family. Ever since she was little, she had been exceptionally good at hiding things.

When it came to Tatiana, Ana made a habit of cutting around doorways and dodging through empty rooms just to avoid her. She wasn't cowardly, she tried to convince herself, but she was clever. Tatiana couldn't even have an inkling of knowledge on her plan. Neither could her mother.

Ekaterina was walking the line dangerously too. She had a habit of annoying their aunt at every chance she could get, whether it be about the business or their food or even their choice in decoration. The house suffocated her, reminding her of their mother, Ana's grandmother. She shivered at the mere thought.

"You're avoiding me."

Ana fought the urge to roll her eyes. It was bound to happen: Tatiana trapping her in a room, forcing her to talk. She had always been taller. Ana remembered when they were little and Tatiana would tug her hair just so she would retaliate. She felt like she was doing it now, tugging at a moment that Ana would surely snap at.

"Can you blame me?" Tatiana actually did roll her eyes at Ana's words. "I'm joking, sister. What is it that you want?"

Ana placed her book down, finally looking at her. Tatiana sat by the window, the light behind her head casting her face in a dark shadows, only emphasised by the black, chalky makeup that ringed her eyes. She was glaring without even having to try.

"You didn't listen to me," she said.

"About which thing? You seem to give me advice on everything."

Ana took pleasure in being irritable. Tatiana raised a brow, her teeth gritted, biting her tongue so hard that it made her face flush a dangerous red, like a rash.

"The Shelby brother," Tatiana said. "He came the other day looking for you."

"I know. You let him in." Ana swallowed. "Don't complain, Tatiana. You could have refused him."

"It's laughable," Tatiana argues, but Ana shrugged.

"It's a bit of fun," she said. "Don't act as if you haven't done such things before."

Because, God, had Tatiana done so much more than that! The things she had done! There had been a time back hole when Ana wouldn't see Tatiana for days. Until she would come stumbling through the hallway, shoes in hand, long hair- that was usually pinned up- dangling at her slim hips. She would sleep for a day and disappear again.

"It's more than that though," Tatiana said.

Ana gritted her teeth. "Whatever."

"And watch out for our dear mother. She's up to something. I don't trust her."

It seemed that Tatiana was playing at being a loving sister. Or she had figured out her plans. Either way, Ana didn't like it. She felt comfortable enough with the way they had been going on: at a distance but there if needed.

"It seems everyone is up to something these days," Ana said, watching as Tatiana left. "Good evening, sister."

After that meeting, Ana didn't bother to ignore and avoid her sister. If there was something wrong, she decided, she would most definitely know about it. Her family weren't the type of people who would keep things to themselves, shoving something under a rug and letting it fester. No. They would confront her, eyes blazing like loaded guns firing into the night.

She didn't bother to hide away from her as she had nothing to hide. She didn't have a plan, a single suggestion. Ana had no clue on how to help her mother get the jewels. In fact, she was doubtful about whether she would go through with it. She was doubtful about whether her mother was even telling the truth.

There was something off. Something was happening, and she wasn't sure that even Tatiana knew of it. But, if there was a single thing to be thankful for over the past few weeks, it was the fact that she hadn't seen the priest, or heard even a single slither of his grating voice. There had been no meetings. Nothing. She wouldn't complain.

The only thing she knew of, was a meeting with Tommy Shelby, his brothers too, and a party would follow it. She had been relieved at the mention of it. She needed the break. Ana needed the drink, the dancing, the carelessness that her Russian family did best.

It wouldn't hurt that John Shelby would be there. The fun they'd have...

Sorry for the short filler, the next chapter is longer.