Chapter 8

Mackenzie's POV

It has been a few rough days since the confrontation with Matt. Tyler has been trying to spend as much time with me as possible since he knows I'm on edge, but all I really want is for all of this to go away. I still don't get why he showed up in the first place.

I pull myself out of my bed reluctantly, heading down the hall to Tripp's room. I check to make sure he's still asleep before making my way to the kitchen. I have two early classes today, so Kylie agreed to watch Tripp.

I make a cup of coffee in my travel mug and eat a bowl of cereal quickly before heading upstairs and throwing on a random outfit consisting of yoga capris and an old softball tournament t­shirt. I throw my hair up in a pony tail and slip on a pair of Nike's. I grab my backpack from the corner and double check for my binders, picking up one I had forgotten as well as Tripp's monitor.

I retrieve my phone and keys, getting my lanyard and wallet. I put everything in the kitchen and go back down the hall, knocking on Kylie's door before walking in. Kylie is still fast asleep, so I shake her gently to wake her up.

"What?" she groans, slapping my hand away.

"I have to head to class, you can still watch Tripp right?"

"Yeah," she yawns. "I'll text you when he wakes up."

"Okay, thanks Ky." I say.

She waves it off and I hurry out of the room, checking Tripp for what felt like the millionth time before gathering all of my things again and heading out to my Jeep. It doesn't take me long to get to school, and once I park, I head to my first class.

My phone rings as I arrive, and I see Tyler's name and picture pop up on my screen. I smile and press answer.

"Hey Ty,"

"Hey beautiful, what are you up to?"

"I have class in a few minutes, you?"

"Just chilling at my house. How long do you have class?"

"An hour and a half now, and I have one right after that's an hour."

"Well, I was thinking we could take a trip." Tyler says.

"Oh really?" I ask, laughing.

"Oh yes. Maybe the zoo? Me, you, Tripp, Jamie, and Kylie?"

"Sure, that sounds like fun." I smile. "But I have to go, I have class."

"Bye."

I hang up the phone and walk into the building, climbing two flights of stairs and walking into my classroom. I don't have any friends in class with me, so I settle for a seat in the back corner. I take out my binder, pen, and assignment for the class, setting them on my desk. I take out my phone and send a quick text to Kylie.

To: Kylie
Hey, I talked to Tyler just now and he suggested a trip to the zoo after class; me, him, Tripp, you, and Jamie. Sound good?

I anxiously await a response, and I do just as the professor walks in.

From: Kylie
Sounds fun! Text me when you leave campus!

I quickly type a simple "okay" and put my phone screen down on the desk. I look at the clock briefly as the professor begins his lecture, knowing it's going to be a long hour and a half.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I finally am able to get into my jeep after a painful 3 hours of lecture. My second class had run late, so as if the first hour wasn't bad enough, the professor had extended it another half an hour. I stop for coffee on the way back to our apartment and I am thoroughly excited when I pull into the driveway of the complex.