Chapter Fifteen Part 2

“Danielle Leerings!”

Lacey slammed into the room, her chest moving rapidly and scarlet seeping over her scowling face. Both Aria and I stared at her. After a few moments and heavy breathings, Lacey latched on to our confusion.

“Oh.” She murmured, slumping down in a muddy plastic chair. “You guys know Cassidy’s new sidekick, Danni right? Well anyway, I figured since she isn’t in the Riders book yet and her name starts with D she could have been responsible.”

“And?” I asked, although I already knew the answer.

“Her last name is Leerings. At least we’ve confirmed one thing, none of the riders did it.”

Aria stood silently, her expression undecipherable. A sigh escaped from her lips and she raised her gaze.

“I’ll go tell Mr. Ross then. You guys have foals to work with.” Aria said, a faint smile grazing her lips.

“Thanks Nancy.” Both Lacey and I said in unison, causing a spark of giggles.

Minutes later we arrived at paddock eight. Lacey twirled the turquoise rope in her hand and I stood stiffly by the gate. At ease, Lacey wandered into the paddock and approached a timid Flash. He eyed the halter warily but allowed Lacey to slip it over him without any trouble. Lacey and Flash slushed through the thick mud and paused at the gate.

Arrow was not as cooperative.

At the first glimpse of me he exploded into fits of bucks and leaps, racing manically around the paddock. The other horses swerved and trotted briskly out of his path and I stood, dumbfounded. Biting my lip, I advanced towards him. He slid to a halt, staring intently at me.

Last time this happened I broke my leg.

Holly had told me this morning that interacting with horses was all about body language. Taking deep breaths, I softened my shoulders and assumed a calm demeanor. Slowly, I approached. Arrow kept his ground, I moved forward a few more steps.

One Breath, one step.

One breath, one step.

Then I was merely a metre away from the black warmblood. His marvelous coat was slathered in a thick layer of dirt but his eyes kept his signature mischievous grin.

Slowly, I reached a tentative hand forward. Arrow snorted but didn’t move. With a swift motion I pulled the straps over his head and buckled it as fast as humanly possible. Arrow tossed his head in annoyance and tried in vain to pull backwards.

With an abundance of stops and tugging, we finally arrived at the top of the hill. Which of course Arrow just had to ruin by biting Flash.

Lacey and I chattered quietly as we made our way to the round-pens, none of which were in use. She and Flash entered Round Pen One and Arrow and I took the next one across.

One in the pen, Arrow starting bounding again, as did my heart beat. Last time I worked in the Round Pen with him he broke my leg. Then again, most people said it was Cassidy’s fault. Most issues in my life were Cassidy’s fault.

Arrow circled the pen multiple times, dust flying from his hooves. When he slowed to a trot, worn out from his excessive gallops, I approached and clipped the lunge rope to his halter. He snorted and tossed his head indignantly, but when I asked him to walk he listened!

He listened!

The youngster walked briskly around the pen, although I would’ve preferred a calm, steady pace a small victory like this was better than none.

Half an hour passes and before long Arrow returned to his usual obnoxious behaviour. Instead of trotting her exploded into a canter like a stray firework. Flash was doing well, moving along obediently, a saddle positioned on his back. I wouldn’t dare put a saddle on Arrow.

At the end of the session, a pinch of pride circulated through me. We had finally achieved something! Even if it was as simple as a clumsy, energetic walk. Afterwards, Lacey and I dropped our colts in the paddock and left them to roam and graze.

The day descended into an explosion of reds and orange, turning the stales into an oil painting. The horses grazed as silhouettes and the yard was almost deserted. Danni Leerings leaned against the peeling fence of paddock eight, her eyes locked on something. A frown tumbled over my features but I slid it past me.

Still, the girl gave me that tingly feeling in your stomach. The one born of suspicion.

Aria was still talking to Mr. Ross, in her hands were three sheets of paper. I ambled across the concrete, stray locks of hay attaching to my mud splashed boots. Aria turned and jogged over to me. She placed the paper in my hand and sped away.

Confused, I stared down at the pamphlet. My soul soared with joy.

Shadow Hill Horse Camp!

__________________________________________________

Okay so I know I say this every chapter but this time, seriously,
I'm sorry this is so terrible. It's unedited and short but you guys
really wanted Part 2 so here you go!