Chapter Ten

Athea fell to the ground as she was transported back. She was bawling her eyes and clutched the box to her chest. She screamed in pain as her heart felt torn apart. Her father was once again gone.
She had been the last one to arrive back from the mission. The others awaited her arrival in the same room but off the the side.

"Athea!" Steve rushed to her side. She shook her head and sobbed louder. The box was held tightly by her. The super soldier pulled her up and hugged her tightly trying to calm her down. Everyone couldn't bare to look her anymore seeing the news they found out. She shook in his grasp.

"Where's Natasha...?!" She cried. She tried to look for her red-haired friend. Her head broke free from his chest and moved frantically around the room.

"Athea..." he gulped.

"Where's Naty?! Tell me where she is! I need her right now!" She screamed in pain and shoved him back. The super soldier dug through his pocket and pulled out a bracelet. This all felt like a nightmare. She shook her head vigorously, this wasn't happening! Why?! Why?! Why?!

"Firecracker..."  Rocket started but was stopped by her cries.

"No! No! Your lying! Steve! Rocket! No!" She screamed. She examined the bracelet closer and saw it was indeed the one Carol and Athea wore. Rocket gulped and turned the other way, he was a strong man but he even the strongest warriors cry. There it was... a red initial in curvy writing 'N' .

She screamed into her sleeve and lost the feelings to her legs. Everything fell with a 'clang' making Steve flinch at the sudden sound. In all his time living with her,this was the first time he would see her broken down, shattered into pieces.

"No!No! No! Natasha! No! Please!" She howled. She grabbed the bracelet from his hands and cradled it like it was a delicate child.

"Naty...." she whispered and blinked through her waterfall of tears. She hugged the metal piece of jewelry close to her heart and grieved.
Her cries rang throughout the faculty and echoed outside.

"NATASHA!"

____________________________

They all stood outside the compound looking at the lake. Tony, Steve, Thor, Clint, Athea and Bruce mourned for their lost friend and teammate.

"Do we know if she had family?" Tony asked/whispered.

"Yeah. Us." Steve responded in a quite tone.

"What?" Thor whispered.

"I just asked him a questio-" Tony was interrupted by the thunder god.

"Yeah, you're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones, Cap, we can bring her back, isn't that right? So stop this shit. We're the Avengers, get it together!" He snapped.

"We can't get her back...." Clint spoke. The three of them looked back at him.

"What?! Why?!"

"It can't be undone." Was all he said.

Athea cupped the bracelet with her 'N' initial in her hands and stared at the it. She hasn't spoke to anymore since the guys joined her. She had thrown part of the stone at the floor and left without a word. Athea breathes were uneven because she was still processing her sisters death. Even though they weren't related, Natasha made it felt like she was part of the family. She taught her everything she needed to know about Earth.

"Natasha." Her lips quivered and gently traced the 'N'.

"I'm sorry. No offense, but you're a very earthly being. Okay? We're talking about space magic. And "can't" seems very definitive don't you think?" Thor argued.

"Yeah, look, I know that I'm way outside my paygrade here. But she still isn't here, is she?" Clint snarled.

"No, that's my point–" Thor was interrupted by an angry Barton who was fuming.

"It can't– be undone. Or that's at least what the red floating guy had to say. Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay?! GO GRAB YOUR DAMN HAMMER, AND YOU GO FLY AND TALK TO HIM!" He yelled and quickly fell back into despair.

Athea hiccuped and started to cry again.

"It was supposed to be me. She sacrificed her life for that goddamn stone. She bet her life on it." Clint swallowed.

Bruce yanked a bench off its hinges and hurled it across the lake. He looked back at the others with grief painted across his face.

"She's not coming back. We have to make it worth it. We have to." Bruce grumbled and started to make his way back. The others followed him except Steve whom stayed behind to pick up the broken girl.

"We will." Steve answered. He looked at the girl who was shivering. He walked up to Athea's shaking figure and pulled her up. She didn't even look at him.

"C'mon." He said quietly. He pulled her up like a rag-doll and guided her back to the compound with his hands placed on her shoulder. She staggered a bit at first but started to drag her feet less and less.