Chapter Eight

Eleanor had nearly forgotten her mother's entire reason for hosting the dinner, which was to bring Mister Taric into closer proximity with herself. With the events of the last several days, Eleanor had entirely forgotten about the events of the picnic. Now, however, as she found herself standing in their ballroom as her mouther directed the orchestra to play music for a dance, the awkwardness of the situation was brought back in full force. It was strange, she mused, that she was able to dispatch vampires and yet would still grow nervous about a simple ball. She should be entirely occupied with the growing vampire threat, yet all she could focus on was making it through dinner.

"You look as if you're expecting a fight, not a ball." Eleanor turned to find Taric standing behind her. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything, Miss Hastings."

"Nothing at all, I was just watching," Eleanor said, waving vaguely around the room.

"I find balls to be infinitely more entertaining to observe than to take part in," Taric commented.

"You mock me, Mister Taric," Eleanor said with reproach. "I am sure you feel quite at ease in such company as this."

"Nevertheless, I fear such gatherings can become tiring. Not this one, of course," he added hastily.

Eleanor chuckled. "I shall be sure to pass your compliments on to my mother, she will be most pleased to hear that hers is the ball that you endured with the most grace."

"I meant no offense to you or your mother," Taric said, sounding for all the world as if he believed she had taken offense. "I merely meant to say that the season can become tiring from the..."

"Mister Taric," Eleanor interrupted. "I was speaking in jest. I share your sentiment, there have been many a night when I would much rather be in the library with a good book than paying calls or dancing."

"You enjoy reading then?" Taric asked.

"Very much. My father built a quite adequate library here but the one at Holloway is truly magnificent. I am quite eager to return home to it."

"Do you have plans to leave London?"

"No immediate ones," Eleanor said vaguely. "I believe mother wishes to stay until the end of the season but Robert may persuade her to go sooner. For my part, I am enjoying London at present."

"I would have thought the attack at Lady Knightley's would put you off from the city." Taric immediately opened his eyes wider in worry. "I do not want to cause you distress by speaking of it, I am sorry."

"It's quite alright. It was frightening but I am quite recovered." Without intending to, she raised a hand to the scabbed cut over her right eye. "I am lucky Mister Franklin was there," she added, unable to hind the touch of anger in her voice.

"I am glad you were unharmed," Taric said. "If I may say so, you are recovering quite better than many other lady's in my acquaintance would."

Eleanor raised her eyebrows. "Have you known many ladies to be assaulted?" she asked.

"No, thank God. But the demeanor of many other women would not be as calm as yours, if they were to go through what you had."

"Nor men, either," Eleanor commented dryly. "I doubt many of the London elite have had the experience of having their lives in danger. It is quite an eye-opening experience."

"Is it indeed?"

"I believe so," Eleanor said. "I imagine it affects each of us in our own way."

"I have no doubt," Taric said quietly. "If I may be so bold, Miss Hastings, but you are quite the most interesting woman I have met in some time."

Eleanor raised her eyebrows again. "I...Well...Thank you."