Chapter Ten

Eleanor fitted her aching body into an evening dress and slipped her feet into soft shoes. They ached from the day before. She had grown unused to walking since being back in London, something she would have to remedy. Finally, they climbed into the carriage as always and were deposited at the entrance of yet another great house, one that belonged to Lord Moreland as Eleanor's mother had told her earlier in the day. They had called here for tea only last week. With a barely suppressed groan, she climbed out the carriage and up the steps to the entrance. It was a very fine house, better and more expensively decorated than their own. Then again, her father had never been one to flaunt wealth, even if they had as much as the Lord Moreland.

Eleanor followed Robert and Olivia inside. Rose had elected to stay at home as she had a headache and Robert had barely been persuaded to come with them instead of remaining at her side. Inside, Eleanor found Miss Pitt as she usually did. However, she found the girl already engaged in conversation with Lord Stanley, looking quite unusually at ease. As soon as Eleanor arrived, the Lord bowed and made his apologies and left. Eleanor looked between him and the blush Miss Pitt.

"You seem to have become much more at ease with Lord Stanley," Eleanor commented.

"He is a most pleasant man," Lisa said. "He is such a fascinating conversationalist and puts me so at ease that I scarcely remember to be nervous."

"That is a rare gift indeed," Eleanor said. She watched the Lord stop to speak to a small group of men but made no further comments. He would doubtless be making Lisa an offer soon, and Lisa seemed pleased with the notion. Matches like these made it seem so easy, as if Eleanor could merely pick a man from the crowd, be entertained for several evenings, and determine that he was the one who would suit her best for the rest of her life. How would she explain what she had been doing for the last ten years, a subject that would doubtless come up once they were married? She had no idea where to start.

"Do you not approve of him?" Lisa asked earnestly.

"Oh? No! I mean, yes, I do. He seems like a quite capable man and I wish you the best."

Lisa blushed. "He has been quite attentive but he has made no offer or other sign of any particular attachment."

"I am sure he will quite soon," Eleanor said honestly. "He seems to suit you well."

"Oh, do you think so? I fear he is only being polite and humoring me, but he does seem to continue to seek me out."

"I am sure he could have no reason to do so beyond the pleasure of your company," Eleanor answered.

"Well...you know I am to inherit quite a sum. Oh! I am sure you think me crass for saying that."

"Not at all," Eleanor said. "It's refreshing, actually."

"Well, I know it's quite vulgar to speak of money... But all summer I have been worried that men are only interested in me because of my inheritance."

"That's reasonable," Eleanor said. "Although I do not know how one can ever be certain it's not the case, unless one were to have no inheritance."

"I suppose not," Lisa sighed. "I know I am not the most...exciting person to be around. I've always been rather shy."

"There's nothing wrong with that," Eleanor answered.

"No. But it does make balls difficult." Lisa let a small smile. In silence, they watched the hall fill up as more and more people arrived. The Moreland's house was quite large and the ball room was nearly half again the size of the Hasting's. Eleanor noted that it looked to become a very large gathering. She spied the Watson sisters across the room and guided herself and Lisa over to join them. They were speaking animatedly of Lord Hilton, who had apparently been to call the day before. Apparently, Evelyn's attentions at the picnic had not been in vain.