Chapter Eighteen

Eleanor felt something cold on her face. She blinked her eyes but light burned her vision so she snapped them closed again. Her head lay on something soft and warm. She moaned as the coldness returned to her cheek and forehead. She was not sure if it was entirely unpleasant, but she did know something was very wrong.

A few seconds later she heard a sigh and she blinked her eyes open again. The brightness hurt them but she kept them open until the blur above her coalesced into a face.

"Taric?" she asked.

"Eleanor! You're awake."

Eleanor struggled to sit up and strong hands helped her. She leaned unsteadily against Taric, feeling his solid warmth seep into her. She looked around. She was still in the same room. Lisa Pitt lay on the chaise beside her, looking pale but her chest steadily rising and falling.

"What happened?"

"You killed him."

Eleanor looked down at herself. Her white dress was covered in fine dust and dirt from the floor. Her skin was similarly covered by the brown dust. She allowed herself to lean back against Taric's chest for a moment as she surveyed herself. His chest! She spun around, fighting a moment of dizziness as she examined him. Her hands ran along his jacket and shirt, feeling the damp warmth of blood.

"Are you alright?" she asked. The blood was turning a darker red and did not look fresh.

"I'm fine," he answered. "It was not as serious as it seemed. Just...knocked the wind from me."

Eleanor realized she had her hands pressed against Taric's chest and blushed. She was also quite sitting in his lap. She went to move back, but Taric took her by the shoulders and gazed steadily at her.

"How do you feel?" he asked.

"Dizzy," was Eleanor's automatic response as she stared into his brown eyes. "I...I think I'll be fine. Just a little dizzy for now." She vaguely remembered that ache in her body and throbbing in her arm but it was hard to focus on right now with her body pressed against Taric's.

"Good." Taric climbed to his feet and unceremoniously pulled her up after him. It took a moment to steady herself but then she rushed to Lisa's side.

"Lisa," she said, no longer trying to keep her voice down.

"She's alright," Taric said. "Just under the thrall. She'll wake up in a few hours."

"We can't wait that long," Eleanor insisted. The other nests may be coming to see what happened. Or some vampires may return from a hunt. We have to go now."

"I will carry her," Taric said. He lifted Lisa as if she weighed nothing and nodded for Eleanor to lead the way. "I did not know what I would do if you didn't wake up, but I can easily carry one of you."

"Let's fine the others," Eleanor said. She lead the way out into the corridor and into the hall. As they approached, she found it empty.

"Should we wait for them?" Eleanor asked. Just as Taric was about to answer, Brown appeared in the doorway, followed by a limping Franklin and a bloody Davies.

"There were more of them than we expected," Franklin said, his voice raspy. "But some were feeding on the thralls so we took them by surprise. They were in the blood frenzy so they didn't hear us dusting the others." He turned an eye to Taric and Lisa. "So you found her. Good. Then this was worth it."

He turned and lead the way out of the hall, his left leg moving stiffly.

The journey back was long and dark and Eleanor was scarcely aware of where they went. She listened for every sound in the darkness, every footstep and whisper of breath. The vampires could be anywhere and they would be angry. Finally, though, they arrived at Taric's apartments unmolested.