꧁Tʜᴇ Mᴀᴄʀᴇᴀᴅʏ꧂

They stood solemnly in the train station as Helen pinned their papers to their coats. First Lucy, then Edmund, then Peter, then Susan and finally Katherine.

As she crossed over to each child she hugged them tightly and then asked them to do something for her. Whether it was listening to their older brother (Edmund), looking after all of them (Peter) or being a big girl (Susan) each child promised to do what their mother had asked of them.

Finally, she turned to Katherine and the Pevensie children began to move towards the train sensing their mother wanted to talk to the girl privately.

"My darling," she said touching her cheek. "Your mother would be so proud of you for being so brave"

Katherine looked up at Helen, her eyes shining with an appreciation for the woman's words.

"I know you haven't always got along with Peter but please look after him dear," Helen asked her as she pinned Katherine's letter and her ticket to her black coat.

"That boy thinks he has to look after everyone all the time and never seems to look after himself enough" Helen moved her eyes from the tickets she had pinned up to Katherine's face.

Katherine looked at the woman who had always been so good to her, a second mother even, and gave her a small smile.

"I promise to look after Peter"

The woman smiled softly at the child and brushed down her coat before saying,

"Thank you, darling, now run along and catch up with the others."

Katherine pushed through the crowd searching for the four siblings when she spotted the mop of blonde hair in the ticket line.

She hurried over quickly and reassured the youngest two who gripped her hands. Susan smiled, relieved that her friend had found them and the oldest turned around and gave a nod.

It was more of a "right everyone is here, good" nod than an "I'm glad you are here" nod but Katherine really didn't care.

As they neared the front of the ticket line soldiers could be seen marching by the wall of the station. She noticed the blonde was watching them and paid no attention to the ticket lady in front.

Sighing she nudged him and gestured towards the now agitated lady. He mumbled his apology as his ticket got stamped and moved along with the queue.

Susan now led the way to the train with Katherine and Edmund hand in hand behind her followed by Peter and Lucy. She heard him comforting Lucy as they moved towards the train.

When they reached the train Katherine helped Edmund up before lifting Lucy. Peter motioned for Katherine to get on before following her as the train doors shut behind them.

Katherine stared out the musty window at the tearful mothers waving their children off. She tried looking for Helen but she couldn't spot her in the crowd.

Susan found an open window and spotted her mother waving, she waved back and the rest of the siblings gathered in the window to wave goodbye as well.

Katherine didn't join them. There were just some moments that were meant for family. She would never want to intrude on moments like that.

꧁꧂꧁꧂꧁꧂

The train rattled on as they moved on from yet another station. They had been travelling for at least two days now and Katherine had run out of books to read as Peter wouldn't let her use any of his.

She sat quietly staring out the window as Lucy napped in her lap. Every so often she would let out a sigh of boredom.

Susan had her nose in a book and once in a while, she would start a conversation with her best friend only for their talk to turn to Susan complaining about how fast Katherine could read compared to her.