Chapter Two

I woke up the next morning, finding Stella hugging me in her sleep. I blushed, but I didn't move for a moment, not wanting to wake her up. I looked over, and I had to admit, she looked pretty cute. She had a sweet little smile on her face, and I thought she might have been dreaming, because her eyes fluttered beneath her eyelids.

I slowly tried to peel myself from her grip without waking her, which I did mostly succeeded in doing. She stirred for a moment, then settled back down against the pillows.

I crept quietly across the room, opening the door with a soft creak, then closing it again with a little click. Leo was already awake. He was busy making breakfast, while Castor was sitting at the table, reading a book with a cup of coffee at his side. Evadne sat next to him, scribbling in her sketchbook.

The overall energy of the group was pretty low this early in the morning. Leo turned and walked over to me, handing a cup of coffee over. "Here, you'll need it," he said. "Thanks," I said, my voice still kind of growly from sleep, and I took the coffee gratefully.

I sat down at the end of the table, sipping my coffee carefully. "Apparently, Leo thinks the orb is somewhere in Notre Dame." Castor said, taking a sip. "That's the name?! I always called it the Hunchback House!" Leo said, amazed.

"That would make sense," I said, ignoring Leo. "We should check that out as soon as everyone's gotten up and eaten." Castor took a sip and looked at me. "You sure it's wise for Leo to tag along in a church? A place meant to be quiet?"

Leo glared before flipping a pancake and crossing his arms. "Oh? You're pulling that card, huh? I've been doing better!"

Evadne looked up from her drawing. "Let's not fight about this, okay? And yes, you have been better, which I'm sure we all appreciate, but we're just looking at the logistics here. That said, I think you owe him an apology." She looked pointedly at Castor. Castor looked at her in disbelief. "Wait, seriously?" he asked. Evadne nodded, tilting her head towards Leo like, go do it now.

Leo grinned slightly and set a plate of pancakes down in front of Evadne and I. Castor sighed. "Fine... I'm sorry, Leo," Castor growled.

Leo chuckled and handed him a plate. "I accept~" Leo purred. Castor kept growling under his breath and started to eat. Evadne smiled and gave him a look like, what am I gonna do with you?

I hid a smile behind my mug as I drank my coffee, then dug into my pancakes, covering them in syrup and whipped cream. After a while, Alexa and Stella got up and we briefed them on the plan about going to Notre Dame. They both got excited about it.

"Yes! Something we can check out!" Stella beamed. "I'll finally be able to prove Jake wrong about it still standing," Alexa said, taking a sip of coffee. I looked at her. "You mean he thinks it burned down completely?" I asked, referring to the big fire back in April of that year.

Alexa sighed. "No, he thinks it got knocked down years ago because it's so old... Even though he clearly has a way to check it out with the internet!" Alexa glared slightly at her food.

"Sounds as bad as Leo," Castor chimed in. "Hey!" Leo hissed. I held back a laugh. "Actually, he pretty much nailed you on that one, Leo," I said, trying to keep a straight face.

Leo stuck his tongue out at us before walking out of the room. I rolled my eyes and chuckled. No matter what, he would still be the little Leo I'd always known.

Soon, the rest of us had finished eating, and we went back to our rooms to gather up our stuff and change into better clothes. All of us took turns changing in the bathroom, then we immediately grabbed our shoes and went out the door to meet the others in the hall.